Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Looking for a backpack

Old 01-21-2020, 08:18 PM
Spike

Default Looking for a backpack

I am looking for a backpack that can carry a rifle. I'm not really sure what they are called but I have seen some where there is a pouch that hangs down, you put the rifle stock in there and then carry the pack. I was hoping someone could give me some direction as to what type of backpack I am searching for or which ones are good. Not trying to break the bank here with a $150+ pack. Any advice will help
Old 01-22-2020, 02:06 AM
Super Moderator

I've moved your post out of the black powder forum to the correct section.

Good luck on your search!

-Jake
Old 01-23-2020, 06:45 AM
Fork Horn

Mine doesn't carry the rifle but I pull the sling over the left shoulder strap and use the chest clip to secure the sling. No worries about it trying to slide off my arm if I don't hold on to it all the time.
Old 01-23-2020, 08:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

What other features do you need from the pack? How much capacity? What’s the application in which you’ll be utilizing the pack? How quickly do you need to access the rifle from the pack?

These answers will guide recommendations for which pack. For example, I carry my rifle in my pack during a 12 day hunt, for which I use a Mystery Ranch 6500 pack with NICE frame, in conjunction with an MR Load Sling as a rifle carrier. This is a huge pack, capable of transporting everything I need to make it 12 days on a remote mountainside and includes modularity to haul meat on the frame and load sling when big game hunting.

Alternatively, I also carry a rifle in my pack during precision rifle matches at certain ranges where we might walk 3-4 miles each day between stages with ~20lb rifles, support bags, ammo, and gear. Don’t need the capability to haul meat, don’t need the capacity to haul camp and 12 days of clothes and food, just need room for ammo, support bags, and limited match gear. But it does need sufficient organization to store several small and administrative items like rangefinder, weather meter, chamber flags, data book, etc. For this, I have an Eberlestock LoDrag II. Much smaller than my mountain pack, but plenty big for the purpose, and still has the ability to haul my rifle and all of my gear.

Personally, I believe a person gets what they pay for in packs. Kifaru and Mystery Ranch are the two “top line” packs I recommend for external frame packs. Eberlestock is more affordable, and great quality for internal frame packs. Eberlestock makes a great variety of weapons carry packs in various sizes.
Old 02-06-2020, 01:42 AM
Spike

Hey Itmitchell, Always try to have the rifles in your shoulder by hanging.It is more comfortable and even safety.The remaining things essential for hunting can be backpacked.For that you can go for suitable backpack depend upon the capacity,weight etc.,
Old 06-09-2020, 08:25 PM
Spike

I’ve been using the badlands 2200 it comes with a rifle boot with the pack and a bow boot can be purchased separately for around $25.00 if I remember correctly
Old 09-28-2020, 02:37 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Bocajnala
I've moved your post out of the black powder forum to the correct section.

Good luck on your search!

-Jake
This sounds awesome
Old 12-09-2020, 06:49 AM
Spike

I found my latest backpack at Academy Sports and Outdoors, they sell what I think is their own brand called Magellan and from what I can tell it's a really good brand. Not sure if they have one that will hold a rifle but they did have a good variety. Myself I like loading up the backpack with everything I need for the hunt and then carrying the rifle on a shoulder sling which keeps my hands free and allows for a quick shot if need be. You just never know when walking out, I'd hate to miss a good shot on a nice deer because my rifle was behind me on my backpack and not easily accessible.
Old 02-04-2021, 08:30 PM
Spike

Default choose wisely

Nothing brings a good hunt down like taking a deer and then realizing you have no way of taking the meat back to your camp.

A good hunting backpack will make or break your hunt, especially if you need to hike to your hunting location.
Old 02-27-2021, 04:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have a Tenzing 4000 which has a built in rifle holder on it. There is also a compartment between the pack and frame which you can put a quarter in for the first trip out. I have had the pack for 5-7 years now and overall like it.