HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Hunting Gear Discussion (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/hunting-gear-discussion-32/)
-   -   How to get rid of gamey taste in deer (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/hunting-gear-discussion/422268-how-get-rid-gamey-taste-deer.html)

Boonerdown 12-01-2019 11:05 PM

How to get rid of gamey taste in deer

Noticed alot of you are complaining about the gamey taste in some deer..best thing I have found to use is Soy Sauce..soak it & add some when cooking it..will even take the gamey taste out of rutting bucks..not sure if it would work on bucks from wooded areas..in Minnesota most of our deer are corn fed & get big bodies ..heard ones killed like in northern Mn have a woodsy taste to them..try some Soy Sauce might work..

Wingbone 12-02-2019 01:36 AM

I have never found properly cared for venison to have a "gamey" flavor no matter where it comes from and what time of year it is harvested. I suspect that "gamey"-ness can be prevented by cooling the meat quickly and processing it promptly. Bloody meat around wounds can have a muddy flavor, but if the bloody parts are removed and/or rinsed of blood, it doesn't happen. BTW welcome to the forum.

Oldtimr 12-02-2019 02:35 AM

Originally Posted by Wingbone (Post 4365778)
I have never found properly cared for venison to have a "gamey" flavor no matter where it comes from and what time of year it is harvested. I suspect that "gamey"-ness can be prevented by cooling the meat quickly and processing it promptly. Bloody meat around wounds can have a muddy flavor, but if the bloody parts are removed and/or rinsed of blood, it doesn't happen. BTW welcome to the forum.

Absolutely right! There is no such thing as gamey taste. There can be an off taste in game that has not been properly cared for. Venison tastes like Venison. Get your deer skinned and cooled as fast as you can and as said throw away any blood shot meat and there should be no problem. Soaking venison in soy sauce, vinegar or other strong favors just disguises the flavor of the venison, it does not make it better or hide the imaginary gamey taste.

RaySendero 12-02-2019 04:03 AM

I've not noticed the "gamey" flavor in venison like I do in ducks.

But since you do, Try cutting the large end of the back straps in 2-3" steaks and
soaking them in coke-a-cola over-night, Then grill with a garlic butter baste.
And or, back strap and loins baked in iron pot covered with slices of onions and small pieces of diced apples.

JW 12-02-2019 05:40 AM

You more than likely are over cooking. Best served medium rare. Use a thermometer. 160 to 165°.
JW

hubby11 12-02-2019 07:06 AM

I agree with the above replies and also note that any "gamey" flavors are often limited to the fat/tallow of venison. Trimming off the fat is easy since unlike beef, it is not intramuscular.

NoJuan 12-02-2019 10:38 AM

It can have something to do with how you are cooking it and the parts you are using

archeryrob 12-03-2019 03:32 AM

What Hubby11 said, If deer eat acorns and bitter foods it will flavor the fat bitter.

Champlain Islander 12-05-2019 02:17 PM

I keep the hide on and let it hang for around 3 to 5 days if cold enough. All my deer are great tasting. Favorite way to cook is to sear on high heat in a cast iron pan for a couple minutes until the blood stats to come out the top. Flip it over, throw in a cup of wine and let it simmer for about 30 seconds, kill the heat and cover for about 3 minutes. Always nice and rare and tender with great taste. Way better than the best cuts of beef.

Ridge Runner 12-06-2019 02:12 PM

if ya think its gamey, eat chicken nuggets. Its deer meat, it is not marbled like beef, it tastes like deer!
RR