Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Hunting Gear Discussion
How to get rid of gamey taste in deer >

How to get rid of gamey taste in deer

Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

How to get rid of gamey taste in deer

Old 12-07-2019, 10:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

Besides trimming the fat off a deer's meat...try trimming off the muscular tissue that sometimes covers the meat.

If you mortally wound a deer...and it runs off for a long tracking job: Adrenaline will spread throughout the deer's circulatory system, and the meat will absorb the adrenaline --- giving that gamey taste.
Old 12-07-2019, 02:29 PM
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by Erno86
Besides trimming the fat off a deer's meat...try trimming off the muscular tissue that sometimes covers the meat.

If you mortally wound a deer...and it runs off for a long tracking job: Adrenaline will spread throughout the deer's circulatory system, and the meat will absorb the adrenaline --- giving that gamey taste.
I really doubt this statement. I have harvested many dozens of deer and some were long and arduous tracking jobs. Proper game handling and butchering always has provided some great venison without any gamey taste. Get rid of any bloody and damaged meat along with all the fat and sinew and the meat tastes like meat.
Old 12-08-2019, 01:11 PM
Boone & Crockett

I doubt everything Erno says. CI, just exactly what is muscular tissue that covers the meat? Muscular tissue is meat and adrenaline travels through the blood so it is in all the meat. The key to good tasting venison is the proper care and cooling of the carcass after the kill and as for me, I have my deer hung for 6 or 7 days in a walking cooler before a knife goes into it.
Old 12-09-2019, 04:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
I doubt everything Erno says. CI, just exactly what is muscular tissue that covers the meat? Muscular tissue is meat and adrenaline travels through the blood so it is in all the meat. The key to good tasting venison is the proper care and cooling of the carcass after the kill and as for me, I have my deer hung for 6 or 7 days in a walking cooler before a knife goes into it.
I should have instead...replied: "Various muscle connective tissues...sinew, membranes and others holding the muscle groups together"

"Why Meat from Scared Animals Taste Worse"

Source:

http://www.atlasobscura.com/articles...ls-taste-worse
Old 12-09-2019, 05:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

All the big game animals that I have harvested over the years have tasted pretty good --- that's because I bagged them --- All except for one 7 point buck...that was gunshot wounded the day before by an unknown hunter --- Yet he was still on his feet, and could only slow walk, when I bagged him on the following morning.

Last edited by Erno86; 12-09-2019 at 05:47 AM. Reason: added a few words
Old 12-14-2019, 09:53 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by JW
You more than likely are over cooking. Best served medium rare. Use a thermometer. 160 to 165°.
JW
160-165 is way too done. Medium rare is about 135. When I cook whole back strap I cook them to 135 and take them off to stand for about 10 minutes. If you cook it to 165 it will be way over done. Not saying you can't cook it to 165 if you like but that is not going to be medium rare.
Old 12-19-2019, 02:02 AM
Fork Horn

Some people don't like bloody meat. I don't like tough meat. I will eat meat from well done (if not over cooked, but many times this can be) to medium rare. I prefer medium as it is a mix of both and never have to worry about it being over cooked.

My daughter uses the temp probe to cook back straps and sets it for 135 and pulls it then. It rests for 5 minutes off the grill and raises to 140 and time to eat!!

If you are worried about bacteria this chart list how long a given temperature takes to have a 10 million times reduction in bacteria when cooking. For the long winded description you can read that all here. Remember, The outside of a roast or steak where only the bacteria could be will be a lot higher than the internal temperature will be.

Gameyness is either from improper care or improper butchering. Not cooled quickly is a problem and not removing deer fat when butchering. Now, if you are looking for corn feed taste, you need to hunt at the supermarket and not the woods. Wild animals will not taste the same as store bought or farm raised.
Attached Thumbnails How to get rid of gamey taste in deer-log-lethality.jpg  

Last edited by archeryrob; 12-19-2019 at 02:08 AM.
Old 12-26-2019, 06:32 PM
Typical Buck

Also remember that that "blood" you are seeing in a rare steak is not blood. Most people say "bloody" meat but the meat bleeds out during processing. The juices you see in a medium or rare steak is the color of blood but it is not blood.