Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

ATV Alarm

Old 10-02-2019, 11:47 AM
Fork Horn

Default ATV Alarm

I would like to know what everyone is using to make sure that no-one is messing with your ATV when you are a good distance from the machine. I lock mine up with cable but what if they mess with the ate's wiring or fuel content? Motion detectors, etc?
Old 10-02-2019, 04:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

not really much you can do, as even if you add an alarm system, by the time you get there, the damages will be done

you CAN< hide a few trail cam's near where you park, and I say 1-2-3, as they might also see them and take them too, plus more than one, gets you odds of seeing a face in a pic'video over just one cam!
I am rather lucky I hunt mostly all private lands and park truck/trailer at land owners house and walk into stands, Only use ATV for recovery, or setting up stands
and have never had any worries really about folks screwing with it parked in the woods some place!

the sad part of things liek this is, many times its other hunters doing to to fellow hunters!

I am pretty heavy in ATV's for decades now, I know of NO locking fuel caps options either!
its kind of a gamble , carry good full coverage insurance, its worth the cost IMO,
and try and park in places less folks walk past to see it
LEAVE a note on it too maybe saying you can see it from where your hunting at!

a TIP to setting up cam's
if park atv where you can set cams up HIGH in tree's by standing ON atv's rack, out of reach of most folks, then more atv to where cam's are aimed!

we used to use trail cam's when we rode atv;'s a lot and folks used to steal our loading ramps, so would hide cam's watching our trucks(can work here too as not just atv's get broke into in hunting season when your parking in remote places and be far from it)

trick we learned about ramps, was to park truck tires on them, just in case anyone has ever thought about how to save them
Bolt cutters cut l;locks/cables REAL fast and didn;t stop them from being stolen as much a s parking on them did for my group
seems jacking a truck up is more work than bolt cutters!
Old 10-03-2019, 03:49 AM
Boone & Crockett

Mine is kept close to my stand, I will be able to see anyone near it.
Old 10-03-2019, 07:03 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks for the replies. I can only get within 150-200 yds of my stand and cannot see the atv because of terrain. I thought maybe there was a simple way to have a motion alarm that sounds off. I have seen people park on their ramps before in Southern WV and heard, whether true or not, that people have jacked the truck tire up and made off with the ramps. Thievery was rampant down that way, thieves would steal starters and catalytic converters. I guess to get dope and alcohol.
Old 10-03-2019, 08:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

a CHEAP alarm might be possible, but it might also, trigger a lot for no real reason

Harbor freight sells drive alarms that work off motion, there like 10 bucks, and are pretty LOUD when on high setting
I use them at a few propeties I have, and they do work well for what they are

BUT to use one on your atv, you will have to leave the speaker within about 50 yards in line of sight of atv, you can test to see if you an get it farther, but on a calm day I would think for sure you could hear it at a 150-200 yrds away or more maybe?
you would need to place the motion end of it, maybe inside a fender or wheel well, so it doesn't pick of small things to trigger it, like leaves blowing or birds flying by, or just someone walking past it!
as I doubt you want it going off when your hunting for no real reason spooking game on you!

they ONLY work when motion is in front of them, BEEP a few times then stop till motion comes again!
but it MIGHT help keep folks away if it went off when they moved the atv or trigger it< and again I would think if its NOT real windy, you'd hear it
the real problem is, if folks have BAD intentions and wish to damage your atv, cut wires or??
by the time you covered the 150-250 yards to get to the atv the damage will be done and odds are them long gone, folks that do damage like this don;'t tend to stick around, all the more so if they know the possible owner has a GUN with them or other weapon!
again for 10 bucks, it MIGHT be worth trying if your really set on having something

as for folks jacking up tires to steal ramps, I am sure some will be willing to do so, we were just lucky no none did for us, but did have a LOT of folks ramps stolen when they locked or chained them down, as again, bolt cutters are easier and faster for them to cut grab and go, over just jacking things up
windows on trucks have been smashed in the past and items in trucks stolen as well
LOCK and things only work on honest folks
crooks will do MANY things to get your things if they want and most don't take a lot of work , if your honest and look at things
best youc an do is IMO again, carry full coverage insurance on it and your vehicles!, sad, but can save you a lot of stress and out of pocket loss at times when they do!
I have had 3 vehicles broken into and things stolen over the yrs and one snowmobile and a trailer!
found out the hard way once NOT having one insured and will never again NOT have insurance on things that AIN"T cheap to replace!

AS for parking an atv CLOSE to where your hunting
I know guys that park them under the tree there in/next to it and kill deer
I have also seen deer see a ATV and avoid it, and I have to think they sure can smell them with fuel in them , exhaust fumes and so
a BIG part of this, is, how YOUR deer react to atv and scents of the likes
some places atv's are super common and I think deer adjust to them pretty well
other places, they might never come near you or your atv(as you too will get smells on you from atv riding it into your stands, fumes from exhaust will transfer onto you as you ride it)

its a personal thing, some care more about some not at all
deer ain't rocket scientists , either, , no matter what many want to make them out to be, some smarter than others YES< but many dumb one out there too LOL
Old 10-03-2019, 09:41 AM
JW
Super Moderator

I do have another kill switch hidden.
JW
Old 10-03-2019, 02:15 PM
Fork Horn

I am going to cut a trail that will bring the atv within sight. I have also seen deer ignore trucks. As long as nothing is moving inside.
Old 10-03-2019, 06:54 PM
JW
Super Moderator

I've seen more deer by not having my ATV close.
JW
Old 10-04-2019, 04:04 AM
Fork Horn

JW you are probably correct. I know a couple of older guys and a few that wouldn't be out there otherwise that have those fully enclosed atvs and hunt right from them. One was a friend with heart and lung problems from Agent Orange exposure. Deer "do what they do." Just like those crazy birds we chase each spring.
Old 10-04-2019, 11:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you have an OBD connector on your ATV, cell phone alert and locator plugins aren't very expensive. I have one in my van, works well enough.
The locator is good for plus or minus fifty feet.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.