Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Advice on base layer ?

Old 10-19-2019, 03:37 AM
Spike

Default Advice on base layer ?

Hi all,I will try to be short and sweet,I am 60 years old and been hunting since I was 12.Last year I got a virus and could not hunt much as it lasted for 3 months and 4 rounds of antibiotics.This year I am 95% healthy but I have noticed the cold temps much more.I want to get a base layer that is wicking(sweat some at times)and warm but don't want to spend $100 per top and $100 per bottom. I still have old Long Johns but I sweat to much in these. Any suggestions ? Thanks Jim
Old 10-19-2019, 06:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

look at sales adn things on close outs or discontinued items
GOOD gear is worth paying a little more for, if it makes you able to hunt more, or longer
sad things have gotten so costly, but sadly what hasn't?

another option is, and its rather simple
wear what you have, just don't add as many layers till you get to your stand, and STOP often,m BEFORE you start to break a sweat,
by carrying in more of your clothing in a back pack, you will be less likely to break a sweat in the first place, plus stopping every so often, to allow a cool down, again, before you start to sweat, will get you in to your stand dry!
I have even gone as far as to change base layers at my stand,, then place in larger 2+ gallon baggies to keep scent down
then I have all dry base layer on to hunt all day
its not easy or fun, but if your on a budget, it can help you get by without spending more $$
and don't forget to replace socks, too, damp feet can get cold real fast and make the rest of you cold too
Old 10-26-2019, 09:09 AM
Fork Horn

that leave minus 33 gear out of the question because I think I paid $200 for my set last Christmas.
Old 10-27-2019, 11:02 AM
Boone & Crockett

I just bought a set, top and bottoms of NOMAD long underwear. It is part fleece and part some other material, and it is lined. It wicks moisture and it is really warm. It isn't cheap, I paid $168.00 for the set. However, if you aren't comfortable on stand you are not enjoying being there.
Old 10-28-2019, 04:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

I REALLY enjoy Icebreaker merino wool base layers.
Old 10-29-2019, 09:12 AM
Fork Horn

I have found some very good deals at this place.

https://www.sierra.com/mens-baselayers~d~11279/
Old 10-29-2019, 11:25 PM
Spike

Thanks everyone ! Can't hardly wait until Friday 11-1 as the weather is going to get great in north central Ohio !
Old 10-30-2019, 03:27 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by mrbb
look at sales adn things on close outs or discontinued items
GOOD gear is worth paying a little more for, if it makes you able to hunt more, or longer
sad things have gotten so costly, but sadly what hasn't?

another option is, and its rather simple
wear what you have, just don't add as many layers till you get to your stand, and STOP often,m BEFORE you start to break a sweat,
by carrying in more of your clothing in a back pack, you will be less likely to break a sweat in the first place, plus stopping every so often, to allow a cool down, again, before you start to sweat, will get you in to your stand dry!
I have even gone as far as to change base layers at my stand,, then place in larger 2+ gallon baggies to keep scent down
then I have all dry base layer on to hunt all day
its not easy or fun, but if your on a budget, it can help you get by without spending more $$
and don't forget to replace socks, too, damp feet can get cold real fast and make the rest of you cold too

As usual mrbb is spot on. A few years a go I got a military duffle bag for carrying in my bulky stuff. It works great. I sweat like a pig. I go out of my way to make myself painfully cold before I get out of my truck to get dressed and walk in. Its all about not sweating, especially if your not going to spend money on good moisture wicking merino wool.

https://www.sportsmansguide.com/prod...4aAoRgEALw_wcB
Old 10-30-2019, 07:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by EShoreMD
As usual mrbb is spot on. A few years a go I got a military duffle bag for carrying in my bulky stuff. It works great. I sweat like a pig. I go out of my way to make myself painfully cold before I get out of my truck to get dressed and walk in. Its all about not sweating, especially if your not going to spend money on good moisture wicking merino wool.

https://www.sportsmansguide.com/prod...4aAoRgEALw_wcB
Thanks, if you ever want to upgrade to a scent free pack, Cabela's sell DRY Bags,
https://www.cabelas.com/product/CABE...9.uts?slotId=2

I have there backpacks and there duffle bags, 100% water proof, been known to leave gear in bags at tree over night too LOL<> then don;t have to carry in the next morning!

there made of rubber like material, 100 % water proof, and don't hold or absorb any scent, its what I been using for yrs

only mine have zippers on them,,. they stopped making them with zippers in the early 2000's, but they been great bags to carry things in
ALL but supper cold weather,as the rubber gets really stiff, then I switch to other things

but there great items for anyone thinking of adding a BIG pack to carry things in rather than wearing it all in!
Old 11-09-2019, 03:48 AM
Spike

I'm 48 and have been hunting since 12 myself (sub par clothes for way too many years and also battle Rheumatoid arthritis) and understand your concerns about cold and saving a buck. A few years ago I started to buy high end clothes for ice fishing and it really made a difference in staying warm and comfortable. This year I've begun to purchase the high end merino base layers for hunting - Out of this world expensive, but I "hunt" for sales on the various archery sites and eBay. I think I've acquired most of it for 45-50% off plus a few extras.. Now, for base layers I'm not picky on matching or colors. I don't need to stay warm - I have to stay warm.

Good Luck.