Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Hunting Gear Discussion
Big guy with Ladder Stand questions. >

Big guy with Ladder Stand questions.

Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Big guy with Ladder Stand questions.

Old 08-19-2019, 03:32 PM
Spike

Default Big guy with Ladder Stand questions.

Hey guys. I'm new to hunting and will be hunting white tail with a crossbow. I bought the Big Game stand from Walmart. It has great reviews and I know someone who has 2 of them.
Unfortunately I'm about 300-315lbs. The stand limit is 500 which is why I picked that one. My buddy (200lbs) and I set it up yesterday and he sits in it just fine. The couple of times I got up to the seat it dropped half and inch or an inch scaring the hell out of me. Being a safety first thought process not to mention needing to be quite does anyone have any ideas how to get it to stop skidding down. I just bought a new top of the line ratchet strap and I'm going to go swap those out but are there any products, braces, mounts or anything that anyone has used to support the increased weight?
To put 2 full size men in there could be 400lbs so I don't feel I/we should have this problem.

Please help! I want to hunt from a stand, not a blind!
Old 08-20-2019, 07:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

well, are you 100% sure you have the ladder put together the right way< and are using the tree arm right(correct spot on ladder and to tree?)
and last is the ladder sinking in the ground at the base of the tree where legs of ladder meet the ground, or is it slipping at the TOP of the tree where the stand meets the tree?
the reason I ask, is, a ladder will BOW a little when there is weight at the top, and pending where and how you place the AR that attaches from tree to ladder, can determine how much BOW you get or not
some times you have to stand on something to get this arm high enough to NOT make the ladder bow a lot when your up top
closer to MID way point on ladders seem the best to me and you want this arm to be SNUG to tree and NOT be pulling ladder in OR out off angle, you want it all straight ,holding solid!
next, if the top of the ladder itself, it need to be level and strapped to tree TIGHT and normally in TWO spots on Buddy like stands
I normally ditch the cheesy straps they give and add straps that are much HIGHER load holding rated and higher breaking points
YOU can still use the one's that come, but I always add extra's for peace of mind
yrs back to prevent things from getting stolen, I used to take metal straps and BOLT the top sections of the ladder stand to tree using them and some HD lag bolts(Only where legal or have permission to do so, of course )

But this also makes the stand a little safer too as it would have to BREAK the steel I used to pull off the tree or up/down on ladder too
BUT you don;'t want this to be the MAIN deal
stand s need to settle in
and as tree's grow, things need to be re adjusted, there not a set up once and be done, HOW fast a tree grows can mean a lot on how often you have to re adjust or replace straps, they do get damaged from stress of a tree growing as well as being exposed to UV /sun light and weather, plus have seen some critters chew on them. SO< every so often , you have to inspect them and re adjust them!

but getting the stand level with YOU IN it, and then snugging up the straps might be what you need to do
I am able to use a ATV on lands I hunt and as such I BRING a Ladder with me, I find this the safest way for me to hang stands, plus I SEE what things look like fro above , before working and placing a stand UP to find ITS Not the best place for it!
being able to use a ladder makes life easier, and safer, and I can also carry a few ladder stands at once with me, saws and any tools needed too!

here is a pic of my atv with a ladder stand(15 ft) and a 15 ft ladder under stand, I have carried 20 ft stands and 24 ft ladders often over the yrs, like driving a BIG rig thru the woods at times, but most times I can get right to the tree I wish to use, and can even use my winch and a snatch block to raise the ladder stand up the tree, again due to having the ladder with me,, makes hanging/setting up big heavy stands alone pretty easy and safe!

​​​​​​​
Old 08-20-2019, 07:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

sorry for some reason won't let me add a pic today?
this site does this to me and no clue why, some times I can some times I cannot?
will try again later
Old 08-20-2019, 12:43 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by mrbb
well, are you 100% sure you have the ladder put together the right way< and are using the tree arm right(correct spot on ladder and to tree?)
and last is the ladder sinking in the ground at the base of the tree where legs of ladder meet the ground, or is it slipping at the TOP of the tree where the stand meets the tree?
the reason I ask, is, a ladder will BOW a little when there is weight at the top, and pending where and how you place the AR that attaches from tree to ladder, can determine how much BOW you get or not
some times you have to stand on something to get this arm high enough to NOT make the ladder bow a lot when your up top
closer to MID way point on ladders seem the best to me and you want this arm to be SNUG to tree and NOT be pulling ladder in OR out off angle, you want it all straight ,holding solid!
next, if the top of the ladder itself, it need to be level and strapped to tree TIGHT and normally in TWO spots on Buddy like stands
I normally ditch the cheesy straps they give and add straps that are much HIGHER load holding rated and higher breaking points
YOU can still use the one's that come, but I always add extra's for peace of mind
yrs back to prevent things from getting stolen, I used to take metal straps and BOLT the top sections of the ladder stand to tree using them and some HD lag bolts(Only where legal or have permission to do so, of course )

But this also makes the stand a little safer too as it would have to BREAK the steel I used to pull off the tree or up/down on ladder too
BUT you don;'t want this to be the MAIN deal
stand s need to settle in
and as tree's grow, things need to be re adjusted, there not a set up once and be done, HOW fast a tree grows can mean a lot on how often you have to re adjust or replace straps, they do get damaged from stress of a tree growing as well as being exposed to UV /sun light and weather, plus have seen some critters chew on them. SO< every so often , you have to inspect them and re adjust them!

but getting the stand level with YOU IN it, and then snugging up the straps might be what you need to do
I am able to use a ATV on lands I hunt and as such I BRING a Ladder with me, I find this the safest way for me to hang stands, plus I SEE what things look like fro above , before working and placing a stand UP to find ITS Not the best place for it!
being able to use a ladder makes life easier, and safer, and I can also carry a few ladder stands at once with me, saws and any tools needed too!

here is a pic of my atv with a ladder stand(15 ft) and a 15 ft ladder under stand, I have carried 20 ft stands and 24 ft ladders often over the yrs, like driving a BIG rig thru the woods at times, but most times I can get right to the tree I wish to use, and can even use my winch and a snatch block to raise the ladder stand up the tree, again due to having the ladder with me,, makes hanging/setting up big heavy stands alone pretty easy and safe!
The ladder does bow which is a bit concerning. I don't want that to snap or anything. I did buy a new ratchet. Heavy duty. I plan to add that. I'm on public land and it's illegal to harm the tree because I thought of adding a bolt like brace. Like a ledger but I'm not allowed.

We did pull the ladder out some on bottom but I didn't like the idea of that either. When I go back to add the strap this week I will make sure it's straight.

​​​​​​​Thank you for the reply.
Old 08-20-2019, 12:45 PM
JW
Super Moderator

Above poster covered all my concerns. Reset as the stand is not set right. It shouldn't do that.

AND
ADD a safety lifeline to your hunting. A lifeline is a 3/4" rope secured to the tree above your ladder seat and secured to the bottom of the ladder. A Pusic knot is used to slide your tether strap of your safety harness up or down as you climb.
Tree stand mishaps is the number 1 cause of recent hunter related accidents.
The Hunter Safety lifeline is only $20.
JW
Old 10-11-2019, 07:53 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Brian_H
The ladder does bow which is a bit concerning. I don't want that to snap or anything. I did buy a new ratchet. Heavy duty. I plan to add that. I'm on public land and it's illegal to harm the tree because I thought of adding a bolt like brace. Like a ledger but I'm not allowed.

We did pull the ladder out some on bottom but I didn't like the idea of that either. When I go back to add the strap this week I will make sure it's straight.

Thank you for the reply.
Do you have a horizontal brace between the tree and the ladder? You should. My kid brother is a heavy weight, he solved the bowing problem by installing 2 braces between the ladder and the tree..

Last edited by Oldtimr; 10-11-2019 at 07:56 AM.