Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Hunting Gear Discussion
Looking for New Boots and Opinions >

Looking for New Boots and Opinions

Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Looking for New Boots and Opinions

Old 03-11-2019, 06:33 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by elkman30
I have figured it out. I don't get spurred by toms I shoot and kill. I have never heard of a turkey just being "knocked out" by a shotgun shot to the head. Several questions come to mind from your above information. How far are you shooting these turkeys? What size and type of shot? What gun and choke? Have you patterned your gun? Do you anticipate your shots? I'm sure there are other relevant questions but these should begin to give you an answer.
The elephant in the room that no one asked is if he has ever hunted a day in his life.

Last edited by Oldtimr; 03-11-2019 at 06:38 AM.
Old 03-11-2019, 11:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have figured it out. I don't get spurred by toms I shoot and kill. I have never heard of a turkey just being "knocked out" by a shotgun shot to the head. Several questions come to mind from your above information. How far are you shooting these turkeys? What size and type of shot? What gun and choke? Have you patterned your gun? Do you anticipate your shots? I'm sure there are other relevant questions but these should begin to give you an answer.
Maybe the mods should switch this thread to "Turkey Huntin'."

Yes...I've patterned my gun --- 12 gauge 3" magnums --- Federal's 3rd degree 5, 6, 7 hevi-shot combined --- Winchester 1300, hevi-shot choke. Hopefully...I've taken enough shots to prevent "anticipation" for the most part. I limit my shots to 40 yards max.

But you forgot the one most important question: Do you make sure the turkey's dead first?

Warning: Graphic video!!!

Last edited by Erno86; 03-11-2019 at 12:37 PM. Reason: added a word
Old 03-11-2019, 12:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Actually, I do the other stuff first and check the tom last. Maybe that's part of the issue. Your sequence of events is off. Since I've never been spurred and get toms every year, I figure I'm doing something right.
Old 03-11-2019, 12:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

For the most part after I shoot a wild turkey that appears to be dead...

I rack another round in the chamber --- put the gun on safety --- put on my blaze orange cap --- walk briskly (NOT RUN) to the turkey --- put my foot on the turkeys neck ---For the majority of instances: The tom or jake will seemingly come to life...by flapping his wings with his back lying on the ground, along with rapid movement of his legs & feet for at least one or two minutes.
Old 03-11-2019, 12:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Actually, I do the other stuff first and check the tom last. Maybe that's part of the issue. Your sequence of events is off. Since I've never been spurred and get toms every year, I figure I'm doing something right.
The only time I have been pricked by a turkey spur--- is after I've slung the dead bird (that's been put in a blaze orange turkey bag) over my shoulder; with my hand on his two forelegs --- for the long haul out.

Last edited by Erno86; 03-11-2019 at 12:40 PM. Reason: added a few words
Old 03-11-2019, 12:47 PM
Super Moderator

I have not killed a pile of turkey like some guys here.

but of the handful I've shot, 3 of them had to be finished at retrieval.

Only one dropped without a single flop, and that was a 40+ yard shot with a 10 gauge. That bird just collapsed. My first turkey was at maybe 3 steps with a 12 gauge and it nearly flopped into my lap before I got ahold of it.

Having raised and butchered many turkeys and chickens in my life, I knew what to do. But I know people and have seen other people talk about getting cut by a flopping bird. And I've got scars on my legs to show what a sneaky domestic turkey can do when it feels like fighting.

The turkey "death flop" is a well known and common occurrence. At least in my woods.

On that note. Stop the back and forth bickering and stay on topic. This is a boot thread, not an argue with each other thread. Since we no longer have a chat room I suggest taking it to PMs if you two feel the need to talk to each other constantly. Or you could exchange phone numbers if that would help.

-Jake

Old 03-23-2019, 05:48 PM
Spike

As amusing as this was to read through the pages of posts my thread created, it obviously did not serve its purpose like so many posts here. While I have witnessed a friend's calf get spurred by a "dead" turkey with my own two eyes, the topic of turkey hunting never came up in my original post. As a matter of fact, I went as far as mentioning the game I'd be hunting to try to stop this kind of nit picking from starting.

While Jake and I didn't start this thread off on the best note, I'm glad he stepped in at the end to try to get it back on track. It looks like no one was interested in that. Some people seem to wade these posts looking for a fight.

One person in particular on this post seems to watch my posts, and every single time his posts are about something I've specifically asked to avoid. One of my posts was simply letting people know that scent control sprays expire. Just some information I gathered from the manufacturers and thought I'd share with those who use it. I didn't ask for your methods of deer hunting. I'm sure you've killed four thousand deer while smoking a cigarette, wearing a white tshirt covered in last night's beer stains. Don't care. I was giving information about a product you obviously don't use, so why post a reply? I'm sure the moderators know who I'm talking about.

IF ANYONE STILL CARES: I ended up buying both pair, as I found them both on clearance. Basically I got two for one. The Alsea boots are lightweight, very waterproof, and pretty comfortable. I've noticed a spot on the outside of my left foot that is sore after wearing them, but that's obviously from the shape of my foot and not the boot. The Pronghorns are by far the more comfortable of the two. I attribute that to the wide toe box they brag about. No place on my foot touches the sides in the toe box area, so no sore spots. They're also very waterproof. But they're much heavier than the Alsea boots because they're leather. Time will tell about the longevity of the boots, but at the price I got them at it was worth the gamble. All in all, out of the box they're both good boots.
Old 03-23-2019, 07:17 PM
Super Moderator

We started off just fine. You broke a rule and I corrected it. Without causing any unnecessary bans.

Same thing I did at the end of the thread with the two arguing. I'd say that's a win any day of the week.

As there is very few (maybe not any) reviews online directly comparing the two boots, perhaps once you get some miles in both boots you can make a thread comparing them for future searchers who find themselves with the same question that you had.

good luck

-Jake
​​​​​​
Old 04-23-2019, 05:30 PM
Spike

Default Zamberlan Lynx Boots

I know that this boot isn't either of the boots mentioned before, but I just bought this boot and love it. It's uninsulated, but has a gore-tex liner so your feet stay dry, it's comfortable as heck, and it's a durable leather boot. Definitely worth checking out. I prefer this boot over any others I have used in the past.
Old 05-10-2019, 04:18 PM
Spike

Only heard good things about the pronghorns however can not personally attest to them. I can however give a plus one to Crispi Idahos. Being more mountain oriented, maybe more boot than you would need?