Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Hunting Gear Discussion
Looking for New Boots and Opinions >

Looking for New Boots and Opinions

Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Looking for New Boots and Opinions

Old 03-05-2019, 03:02 PM
Dominant Buck

Danner Pronghorns are the most comfortable boot right out of the box I have ever worn. No break in required at least from the ones I have bought. I do have some concerns though since many of their current lines are made in China. Every boot I have liked fell down in my ratings when they moved from USA made.
Old 03-05-2019, 03:43 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Erno86
I have a more peace of mind wearing 17" high waterproof, snake proof boots.Though the waterproof membrane may last only one year. I can easily ford low-level streams or rivers, briar proof; and I also tuck the bottom of my pants inside the boots, to help prevent ticks or field mice from crawling up under my pants. And it helps prevent me from getting spurred by toms or jakes in the turkey woods, after I step on the head an neck of a downed bird.

Really? You are worried about a Jake or Tom spuring you? You do understand the object of turkey hunting is to shoot and kill the turkey. Additionally, I have hunted northern and southern MD, just where do you need snake boots to hunt in MD? The more you post, the more I do not believe you ever hunted a day in your life!
Old 03-05-2019, 03:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

For the OP. So how about those Danners?
Old 03-06-2019, 05:36 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
Really? You are worried about a Jake or Tom spuring you? You do understand the object of turkey hunting is to shoot and kill the turkey. Additionally, I have hunted northern and southern MD, just where do you need snake boots to hunt in MD? The more you post, the more I do not believe you ever hunted a day in your life!
Oldtimer, With all due respect I must disagree with you. I wear snake boots during all my hunts here in the Eastern Panhandle of WV (bordering MD) and VA. I am not aware of anyone being spurred by a bird, but I suppose it could help. I can tell you that we have poisonous snakes where I hunt that can kill or disable you. I have walked upon coiled rattlesnakes on a couple of occasions to within 6-8 ft. while turkey hunting here. Southern WV where I have also hunted turkeys and bears you'd best be prepared for snakes as those mts. are infested with snakes. I am 72 years old and have been in the mts. since about 7 yrs. old with my dad and alone at about 11 yrs. old. I hope that your reluctance to recognize a possible need for snake boots does not come back to literally bite you in the butt some day. It only takes once and you could spend the rest of your hunting days sitting on the porch.

Last edited by redmag; 03-06-2019 at 05:41 AM. Reason: punctuation
Old 03-06-2019, 11:06 AM
Boone & Crockett

My comments were more about the ridiculousness of being worried abut being spurred by a turkey. So far as snake boos go, wear them if you like, I have wandered around in PA where we have rattlers and Copperheads, I never was too worried about snake boots, if I am snake country I am aware of it and act accordingly. Snake boots for turkeys, give me a freaking break!
Old 03-06-2019, 02:36 PM
Fork Horn

I took your question to mean that wherever he hunts in MD that there can't be snakes.....I wear my snake boots and as you read I am aware and cautious. However, I pretty much wear snake protection for the same reason that I wear seatbelts, just maybe they"ll save me pain or death. Good hunting to you.
Old 03-08-2019, 10:04 AM
Spike

None of the Danner or Irish Setter boots have lasted me very long. I finally purchased the Crispi Nevada boots and absolutely love them. They are boots that will last many many years and then will just be resoled to use again. They are expensive but the quality is so much better.
Old 03-08-2019, 10:39 AM
Super Moderator

Hey Mike, what did you buy?
Old 03-08-2019, 12:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
My comments were more about the ridiculousness of being worried abut being spurred by a turkey. So far as snake boos go, wear them if you like, I have wandered around in PA where we have rattlers and Copperheads, I never was too worried about snake boots, if I am snake country I am aware of it and act accordingly. Snake boots for turkeys, give me a freaking break!
Dunno bout you...but just about 95 percent of the gobblers that I've shot with a shotgun, have tried to spur me; after I stepped on the neck of the downed bird just after I shot him. I do it as insurance in case he's just knocked-out by a pellet --- He'll start to flap his wings on his back an go to town with them spurs --- Bout 7 years ago --- on the public hunting land where I hunt... another hunter told me he'd just seen a guy that tried to pick-up a just-shot tom by the legs. The tom raked his arms with his spurs, with copious amounts of blood spewing out & down his arms.

Or...

Have you ever heard of "chickens running around after there heads were cut-off"???

Source:

"Why do headless chickens run"

Last edited by Erno86; 03-08-2019 at 12:20 PM. Reason: link work
Old 03-08-2019, 12:22 PM
Boone & Crockett

• I don't even know what to say about your post that would not get me banned.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.