Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Hunting Gear Discussion
So is the Vortex Venom any better than the Burris Fastfire 3? >

So is the Vortex Venom any better than the Burris Fastfire 3?

Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

So is the Vortex Venom any better than the Burris Fastfire 3?

Old 02-14-2019, 02:26 AM
Spike

Default So is the Vortex Venom any better than the Burris Fastfire 3?

I'm need of 2 optics:1-for a 22/45 pistol and 1-for my SBR CZ Scorpion. I have one Burris Fastfire 3 that use to live on the 22/45; I would like something similiar sized to put back on it. I plan on buying an Aimpoint or something similary high end for the Scorpion but think I should wait for Black Friday or Xmas sales being they aren't too far away. In the meantime, I figured I could buy a RDS suitable for the 22/45 and run it on the Scorpion until I find a deal or sale on a higher end optic.

So that leads to my debacle; Burris Fastfire 3 or Vortex Venom. Both are similar sized, both have similar warranties, and both come in the 3MOA dot I'd want.

-So what's the big diff between them?
-Glass on one any better than the other?
-Does the Vortex remember the last brightness setting it was on and return to that? This would be a selling point to me being they are similar sights...
-How is the auto adjust setting on the Vortex? I HATE it in the Burris(didn't mind the RMR's for what that's worth).
Any reason to buy one over the other or buy the cheaper?

Side note: I have an astigmatism and tend to use my Burris on the lowest brightness level(which works fine thus far). I do know the Vortex has more brightness levels which could be useful.
Old 02-14-2019, 09:25 AM
Super Moderator

From what I have gathered the Burris and the Vortex Venom are very similar. Both have outstanding customer service and are comparably priced. The only real difference is the multiple light settings on the venom and the addition of a rain guard on the Burris. I ended up going with the Burris since during the turkey season here it can be rainy and such during our spring season. Matter a fact I am in the process of building another dedicated turkey gun for the wife right now and bought another Burris for it, Unfortunately someone thought they needed it more than she did and stole it so I am saving up for another.

The one I have mounted at the moment is on a Mossberg 835 and has held up to the recoil very well. Her gun will be a Stoeger M2000 with a pistol grip.
Old 02-14-2019, 02:07 PM
Fork Horn

I had the same dilemma. I went with the Burris because it was on sale at the time but I think I would have liked it better anyway. I think the venom had more brightness settings and more buttons. Like you could move the brightness up and down. On the Burris there are only 4 settings auto, high, med, and low and they are cycled with one button. I thought more buttons would be better but I actually like the one button. I typically just set in on auto which is one click, then to turn off its 3 more clicks. Simple is sometimes the best. The rain guard is pretty handy too. Its on my turkey gun and I shoot 3.5" turkey loads so it will hold zero even under massive recoil.