Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Need help with layering

Old 01-18-2019, 07:23 PM
Spike

Default Need help with layering

Hello I'm a new hunter and 2019 will be my first season hunting in upstate NY and i needed some advice. I purchased this under armour jacket and was wondering what i should wear underneath it? How many layers underneath to stay warm. Would wearing a hoodie under be a bad idea since it doesnt have a hood. I was looking at some of the sitka mid and light layers? Any advice would be appreciated. I am also planning on hunting early and late season. Does anyone else have this jacket ? I was also looking at the ua barrier is that warmer that one does come with a hood ? Also if i were to pickup some sitka gear which pattern would you guys recomend for upstate ny (southern zone)?
Attached Thumbnails Need help with layering-sdsd.jpg  

Last edited by acitalianman13; 01-18-2019 at 07:27 PM.
Old 01-18-2019, 07:25 PM
Spike

Default another photo

another photo
Attached Thumbnails Need help with layering-s-l1sd600.jpg  
Old 01-18-2019, 09:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

How many layers and even how warm of clothing you wear will depend a lot on how you hunt, how much you move, etc. If you're sitting in a stand, you'll want warmer clothing. If you're hiking a ways to get to that stand, you'll want layers that you can pack in cause you'll burn up if you wear all that gear while hiking. You'll also want more (warmer) clothing if you're sitting in a treestand versus some type of enclosed ground blind or enclosed blind, especially if you have some kind of heater going (say like when people ice fish). My preference is spot and stalk hunting so I prefer lighter layers that I can shed and carry in a pack as needed. Your type of hunting might be totally different from anything I've posted so it's really going to depend on how you hunt and how warm or cold you like it.
Old 01-18-2019, 09:20 PM
Fork Horn

Get yourself some merino wool. This season was the first I have used it and was very pleased.

I got all my stuff from WoolX. Its super warm and comfortable. WoolX appears to be a little cheaper than other brands, especially if you buy using their frequent 15% or 20% off offers. Im sure other brands of merino wool are great too but I cant speak for them since all I've used is woolx. Actually I have a First Lite Tundra balaclava that is merino wool and is absolutely worth its weight in gold.

Another item I used for the first time this season is a neck gaiter. Seemed to help me stay warm and they're pretty cheap.

I use an old military style duffle bag with backpack straps to transport my zip up merino wool mid layer, headgear and outer jacket to and from the stand so I don't overheat. All I wear in and out is a heavy merino wool base layer.

Good luck.

Last edited by EShoreMD; 01-18-2019 at 09:31 PM.
Old 01-18-2019, 09:38 PM
Fork Horn

Not trying to push you on WoolX, Im sure the other brands are great but just to give you an idea of what I wear.

My base layer
https://www.woolx.com/collections/me...nt=21178357189

https://www.woolx.com/collections/me...nt=21179485893

My mid layer
https://www.woolx.com/collections/me...nt=20969370629
Old 01-19-2019, 09:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Wool and overalls works for me. I like the overalls because when I'm walking in I can zip the front down and they vent well, keeps me from overheating and sweating.
My experience is if you have a good pair of boots, you keep your middle warm (kidneys), your head and neck covered, your good until it gets pee freezing cold.

One of the better layers I've found is German tanker coverall liner (surplus). Synthetic, over your long Johns and layer from there. Lightweight, synthetic, dries really fast and just works for me. And the price is right.

Kind of a person to person type thing, some people are less tolerant than others. I don't require toasty warm extreme comfort. And it has to be very cold and windy before my feet and hands give me any real issues. One tip is to eat well, I usually pig out on pasta beforehand, I feed that furnace.

The wind is your cold weather enemy, a good plastic poncho can be nice in the short term, Either over your clothes or to make a quick windbreak. Anything that traps moisture can cause issues though, better if what you are wearing breaths.
I'm partial to old school wool army blankets. I sewed two together on two sides, long side and short side, it makes a quick, durable, cheap and easy blanket. Burrito. I either wear it like a sleeping bag with my feet in the closed short side, but I also left a head sized gap on the short side so I can also wear it as a cape. It doesn't have to look pretty, but t does have to work.

Last edited by MudderChuck; 01-19-2019 at 09:47 AM.
Old 01-19-2019, 04:22 PM
Fork Horn

I got a pair of minus 33 expedition weight long johns for Christmas and used them last week in upstate PA when it was 18 degrees. They were very comfortable and they did keep me warmer than my under armor long johns.
Old 01-19-2019, 05:04 PM
Spike

Default thanks

Thanks guys for all your recommendations. Since my jacket does not have a hood do you guys think i should were something underneath with a hood or a hat and balaclava will do ?
Old 01-19-2019, 06:39 PM
Fork Horn

Absolutely, it keeps the wind from blowing down your neck. I also when it’s cold out wear a turtleneck shirt
Old 01-20-2019, 08:03 AM
Fork Horn

Just keep in mind with a hooded garment if you add that layer while in the tree you either have to come "unhooked" from your safety line or deal with the hood interfering with the tether if you wear the hood up.

I also feel like a hood interferes with my peripheral vision. Just my experience and something to consider.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.