HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Hunting Gear Discussion (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/hunting-gear-discussion-32/)
-   -   What is the most important accessorize for hunting? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/hunting-gear-discussion/420107-what-most-important-accessorize-hunting.html)

Mislav1501 01-09-2019 04:34 AM

What is the most important accessorize for hunting?

Hello everyone,

I've started this thread to learn more about hunting and how it all works, so first stop is hunting gear and accessorize. Could you please tell me what is the most important accessorize in your opinion to have when hunting, beside the guns of course? Also you can talk about apparel, camping gear and all the other stuff you think is important. Thank you in advance!

mrbb 01-09-2019 08:22 AM

a legal hunting License and things being hunted in season!
after that I would say a GOOD brain in your head that has taken some time to LEARN the safe ways of hunting and the basic's(or advanced) behaviors of the game animal your hunting!
lack of common sense these days is amazingly SAD IMO!
knowledge as they say is power, and its a HUGE part of being successful at most ALL things in life, including hunting! learn your species your after and the more you know, the better your adds will be at killing one!

after this, you can wear what ever gear you like, higher end gear works better MOST times, as it normally has a specialized area its BEST in

CalHunter 01-09-2019 08:50 AM

It would depend on what you're hunting, where and how (what method). Most of my hunting involves spot and stalk or still hunting where I cover a lot of ground. For me, a good pair of binoculars, some kind of hydration bladder and chaps to repel stickers and burrs are probably the next most important pieces of gear. A few other gear additions would be a good dog (preferably a pointer) for pheasant hunting and some kind of caller (electronic or mouth call) for coyotes and other varmints.

Jack Ryan 01-09-2019 09:24 AM

A gun.
Bullets.

Mislav1501 01-09-2019 11:18 AM

Would you say that good tent/sleeping bag is also really important or it doesn't have to be?

Bocajnala 01-09-2019 11:47 AM

If you're hunting in your back yard, it's not important at all.

If you're sleeping out somewhere, then it's important

-Jake

mrbb 01-09-2019 12:53 PM

some food for thought based on above suggestions

Calhunter, sounds to me like best piece of gear for you is GOOD boots LOL
JackRyan, a GUN and bullets will NOT work unless you have brass primmer and gun powder LOL, loaded ammo, just bullets don't do much good unless you have a really fast arm to throw them with HAHA!

Mislave1501, a tent/sleeping bag, only; is needed if you sleep outside, but when doing back pack hunting and or camping hunting, there great to have

Gear you need is honestly a super wide question
you BUY gear based on what your trying to do
if cold weather, buy cold/insulated weather gear, HOW cold, again then you buy appropriate clothes for the temps! if rain is possible, waterproof clothing then.rain suits
GOOD Boots/socks are HUGE important to me on MOST all hunts
camo is honestly NOT needed, but I think 99% of hunters feel more like a hunter wearing it, so it gives them more confidence, so that alone helps folks stay longer hunt harder, so, take that with a grain of salt!

I started hunting years ago as a broke poor kid, and used what ever I could get, and was very successful, as it wasn't the GEAR that got me close to animals I was after, it was SKILLS I learned by learning the animals I was after habits and LEARNING how to become a HUNTER, reading sign, and paying attention to details, like wind direction, foods animals were eating, where they were sleeping and how they got from point A to point B, and getting in between them
a weapon that could LEGALLY be used and up to the task and ME knowing HOW to use it, and learning about the animals and HOW to find them
is ALL I ever needed and gather its all that is really needed
were all way too spoiled these days with OPTIONS of GEAR to buy, and it sure seems like folks want gimmicks and ?? to GET them game, rather than learning HOW to find them, and learn about the animals there after! and learning woodsman ship skills

its woodsman ship skills that a HUNTER needs
a shooter need a weapon, a hunter needs knowledge of many things,
gear doesn';t make the hunter, the desire in one , and how far your willing to go and what your willing to LEARN makes you a hunter or it doesn't!

Tufrthnails 01-09-2019 01:35 PM

Compass and map and know how to use them. Gadgets are break,but they break and die at the worst times.
A good trusty flash light Coming out in the dark can really suck or be down right dangerous.

MudderChuck 01-09-2019 03:04 PM

A poncho and some para cord can be handy, even a life saver. IMO the larger the poncho the better, I've found some good gear designed for fishermen. Being soaking wet at near freezing temperatures is not only uncomfortable, it can be dangerous (I learned that lesson the hard way).

CalHunter 01-09-2019 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by mrbb (Post 4350189)
some food for thought based on above suggestions

Calhunter, sounds to me like best piece of gear for you is GOOD boots LOL
JackRyan, a GUN and bullets will NOT work unless you have brass primmer and gun powder LOL, loaded ammo, just bullets don't do much good unless you have a really fast arm to throw them with HAHA!

Mislave1501, a tent/sleeping bag, only; is needed if you sleep outside, but when doing back pack hunting and or camping hunting, there great to have

Gear you need is honestly a super wide question
you BUY gear based on what your trying to do
if cold weather, buy cold/insulated weather gear, HOW cold, again then you buy appropriate clothes for the temps! if rain is possible, waterproof clothing then.rain suits
GOOD Boots/socks are HUGE important to me on MOST all hunts
camo is honestly NOT needed, but I think 99% of hunters feel more like a hunter wearing it, so it gives them more confidence, so that alone helps folks stay longer hunt harder, so, take that with a grain of salt!

I started hunting years ago as a broke poor kid, and used what ever I could get, and was very successful, as it wasn't the GEAR that got me close to animals I was after, it was SKILLS I learned by learning the animals I was after habits and LEARNING how to become a HUNTER, reading sign, and paying attention to details, like wind direction, foods animals were eating, where they were sleeping and how they got from point A to point B, and getting in between them
a weapon that could LEGALLY be used and up to the task and ME knowing HOW to use it, and learning about the animals and HOW to find them
is ALL I ever needed and gather its all that is really needed
were all way too spoiled these days with OPTIONS of GEAR to buy, and it sure seems like folks want gimmicks and ?? to GET them game, rather than learning HOW to find them, and learn about the animals there after! and learning woodsman ship skills

its woodsman ship skills that a HUNTER needs
a shooter need a weapon, a hunter needs knowledge of many things,
gear doesn';t make the hunter, the desire in one , and how far your willing to go and what your willing to LEARN makes you a hunter or it doesn't!

I agree with all of this. :D Especially that part about being spoiled with gear. There's a lot of canned hunting advice that normally will never apply and gear that honestly isn't needed to go hunting.

I mainly hunt on a ranch behind a locked gate in California with most hunting temps in the 50's to 80's. I hike all over the ranch but I really enjoy that style of hunting. If I had to, I could get by just fine with a t-shirt, jeans, tennis shoes, my rifle, ammo and license. I have found that I can hunt harder and longer if I take along some gear so I do. Sometimes its' things that are really useful like a hydration bladder with ice water or chaps that work awesome for burrs. Other times it's just stuff I want to try like this year's hunting scent wafers that smell like rich dirt. Like most hunters, I am always seeking to become a better hunter and get that edge on figuring out and outsmarting the critters.

For the OP, if you're trying to figure out what gear you need to hunt, it will all depend on what you're hunting, where you're hunting and under what conditions. If you're trying to figure out some one size fits all list, you'll find that almost everybody above would tell you that simply isn't possible. Hopefully this helps some.