Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Hunting Gear Discussion
Need good snake boots protection south east TN Rattlers Copperheads etc >

Need good snake boots protection south east TN Rattlers Copperheads etc

Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Need good snake boots protection south east TN Rattlers Copperheads etc

Old 11-24-2018, 04:11 AM
Spike

Default Need good snake boots protection south east TN Rattlers Copperheads etc

Hi everyone. Hope you are having a wonderful holiday season. I live in the woods and need to start clearing some land and I want really good snake protection boots. There are lots of snake in these woods. I was hoping someone could recommend a great snake boot that can protect from a copperhead or a rattler. We have lots of copperheads but I haven't seen a rattler here but I hear they are around. I am by the water and we def. have water mocs. I am in South East TN near Chattanooga area. Thank you very much for the help.
Old 11-24-2018, 09:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

Old school, very high top logger boots are hard to find anymore. I have a pair of antique Red Wings with very high tops, they weigh a lot, a pain to lace up. High Wellingtons might be a better bet, though they aren't fun to walk any distance in, in my experience..

Personally I have a pair of snake proof Gators. They cover from just below the knee to the ankle. I can swap them from one boot to another. All around the best solution. I've even worn them over rubber boots.

I had a pair of pants made years ago, basically Army field pants with leather bottoms. The bottoms are boot cut, they flare near the bottom. The extra leather at the bottom flops around some but it also vents well.

Don't forget about your hands and forearms. I reached down to grab a piece of brush and came up with Rattler hanging from my right hand, forefinger knuckle. Sucker never did rattle, bit right through my gloves. Not fun at all, the bite was bad enough the anti venom for me had some really serious side affects. Between the two I was thoroughly miserable for few a weeks.
Old 11-24-2018, 10:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have a pair of snake proof brush buster chaps that go up to the hip. I also love my 17" high, laced waterproof Snake boots, that I can purchase from Cabelas or Sportsmans Guide --- Though the waterproof membrane might last only one season. They are also great for crossing streams and tromping through swamps --- including protection from being spurred by a wild turkey, while he's still flopping on the ground.
Cabelas has upped the price on snake boots; but I recommend getting a pair that has a leather finger loop on the top rear back of each boot.
I was wearing my snake proof chaps...when I startled two water moccasins and killed a copperhead; while doing field survey work for the Army Corps of Engineers; on a couple of dredge islands, near the mouth of the Cape Fear River in North Carolina --- including Eagle Island --- which we nicknamed "Evil Island."

Last edited by Erno86; 11-24-2018 at 10:44 AM. Reason: spelling & added a sentence