Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Clothing help/recomendations

Old 04-10-2018, 05:07 PM
Spike

Default Clothing help/recomendations

Hi everyone not going to lie I知 a bit new at the hunting and do apologize if this is a dumb question here but the only thing I知 having trouble on is clothing considering that the boys I hunt with mainly dog or use stands for deers or for turkeys and waterfowl we have a swamp where they all hang out but my question is does Camo really make a big of what type you buy? Considering a lot of the new styles Out are all becoming digital and then there痴 good ol military Camo, we have a lot of juniper bushes and there痴 slot of green and browns so I figured either run Marpat or tiger stripe or should I stick to real tree and mossy oak? Much help appreciated

Alex
Old 04-11-2018, 07:03 AM
Fork Horn

Camo helps, but its not an end all beat all. I also personally feel like new camo is way too busy and you need to review it in the store at 20 yards on the rack and I'll garentee you in the shade most look like a dark blob.

I have been using the Us Military woodland camo, and its starting to wear out. Its way over priced to buy now. I am considering changing to German Flechtarn or the swiss army camo. I think both would hide better than realtree or mossy oak.

More importantly Good boots, maybe quilted overboots, warm coveralls and jacket. Then worry about camo patterns
Old 04-11-2018, 03:08 PM
Typical Buck

Welcome Colonel.Camo is way overrated but it just dang looks cool.A flannel like you are wearing in the pic is good but with more natural colors.No solids like blue for example unless your down in the dirt.I have had tremendous success Turkey Huntin with gray coveralls with a brown vest.It don,t have to be complicated.I luv snow camo when their is at least a dusting.
Old 04-11-2018, 06:07 PM
Spike

I know like for real tree n shut it’s like damn near 400 for a full outfit or go to my local surplus n burn 50 bucks thanks again for y’all help let ya know what I bag here in a few weeks
Old 04-12-2018, 06:12 AM
Fork Horn

When guys say "matching camo" I want to cup check them and see if they really are a boy. People ask me what camo I wear, the answer is "whatever was on sale!"
Old 04-12-2018, 04:54 PM
Super Moderator

check with the local fish and game department regulations concerning the required blaze orange or similar laws, theres not much sense in spending big bucks on really effective camo like a ghillie suit if your required to have 500 sq inches of blaze orange above the waist and on the head like many states require.
obviously it helps immensely if you know what the area you'll hunt looks like during the time frame and temps youll hunt in.

camo works,very effectively in some conditions, but game picks up on movement, and odor even if you use camo.
if you want too do something do the research and do it correctly, Ive had deer and elk into bayonet range dozens of times, Ive had elk feed past me at less than 40-50 yards more times than I can count, but you obviously need to get the camo correct and not move.
if your into archery or handgun hunting camos going to be more useful than if you plan to shoot game at 400 yards with a 7mm or 300 mag

http://garage.grumpysperformance.com...53/#post-58112

RESULTS CAN BE GOOD IF ITS DONE CORRECTLY, BUT YOU NEED TO BE CAREFUL AND REMEMBER EVERYTHING'S IMPORTANT, YOU CAN,T LEAVE THE RIFLE, YOUR FEET, YOUR HANDS OR FACE, ETC EXPOSED AND EXPECT TO REMAIN UN DETECTED,

example, this guy forgot the hands rifle and face

a bit better

Last edited by hardcastonly; 04-12-2018 at 05:33 PM.
Old 04-15-2018, 04:52 PM
Fork Horn

while wearing blaze orange one piece suit, I had a 6 point deer come within 5 yards of me while sitting on the ground during a bear hunt in PA
Old 04-15-2018, 05:49 PM
Typical Buck

Deer don,t see color.They can,t distinguish the hues and shades like we can.But some shades give off bright solid out of place blobs like blue jeans can for example.Some colors and shades really stand out to them but not the color itself.Shapes are extremely important which they also know that does,t belong.That,s why some Companies are comin out with these irregular shaped new blinds.
Old 04-15-2018, 06:32 PM
Super Moderator

What Good Ole Boy said. If you're going to buy camo, that $50 military camo will work just fine. Also, don't wash your camo with those UV brighteners that make any camo stick out in the woods. You said your buddies mainly use dogs or stands so camo is not going to be as important. Movement and sound in a stand are your biggest concerns. If you're hunting behind dogs, just about any game is going to focus on the dogs.
Old 04-16-2018, 06:09 AM
Spike

Yeah I’m not completely concerned with Camo in the stand because for deer elk and moose gun season you gotta be blazed orange anything for turkeys of or birds you can run full camo in my area of province

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.