HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Hunting Gear Discussion (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/hunting-gear-discussion-32/)
-   -   Zippo Handwarmers? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/hunting-gear-discussion/417639-zippo-handwarmers.html)

redmag 03-29-2018 07:26 AM

Zippo Handwarmers?

Anyone use this type of hand warmer and are they good for cold weather? Not interested in the chemical hand warmers because they do work for me.

Oldtimr 03-29-2018 09:01 AM

I have not used the lighter fluid hand warmers since the 60s, I assume that is the type the Zippo is, back then it was the Johnny warmers everyone used. They leaked lighter fluid and they would get too hot and you had to take them out of your pocket. My dad used a warmer that looked like a wide hard glasses case, it burned charcoal sticks or at least that is what they looked like. That worked a little better and didn't leak or stink like lighter fluid. All I use now are the hot hands warmers that you just shake to get the chemical action in the iron filings to start. I pit one in each coat pocket, they last 6 or 7 hours. I always carry a few extra, they take up no room in my pack just in, case.

KYBASIL 03-29-2018 10:33 AM

I use them sometimes, they do stink a lot. I prefer the old John-E hand warmers when I use one. Great for fishing in the rain and snow, I have a belt that holds one over each kidney to warm the blood as it passes through. I only use them when it's super cold and scent isn't an issue though...

MudderChuck 03-29-2018 11:12 AM

Word of warning, all lighter fluids aren't the same. Took me awhile to figure out the obvious, the reason my hand warmers sometimes worked and sometimes didn't was the fluid I was using. Zippo and Ronson work, some others also. Trial and error sucks, I've used more than few brands of lighter fluid that didn't work in my hand warmers as fire starter

I'm fairly cold tolerant, comfort isn't an issue. But I do need to be able to bend my fingers and not shiver when shooting.

The wife bought me a Lava Buns seat cushion. I was skeptical, but it was one of those pleasant surprises, it actually works as advertised.

redmag 03-29-2018 12:56 PM

Thanks for the info. I will be trying the Zippo brand next hunting season. Also thinking about a heated vest/jacket. I dress for the cold and by 9 am i am cold.

TexasGulf3 04-01-2018 11:26 AM

I have 2 zippo hand warmers.. Love'em and used them throughout hunting season. They work great after a bit of learning curve. Walmart has them, it's where I bought mine. I saw some today at Walmart for $13.82 each. One tip I learned the hard way,, do not fill them the night before,, Fluid will evaporate overnight. Always fill right before use and then light immediately before your trip begins. I have been telling all my friends about mine and would buy them all over again.. Good Luck,, !!

Stevyrob 10-20-2018 02:56 PM

Didn't know something like this existed. Then again we do miss out on many cool toys down under.

quebechunter 10-21-2018 12:56 PM

I use my thermalcell for a hand warmer with out the scent pad it works great and no smell when its real cold out I use to of them I put one in the front of my coat and one in my pocket and after a half an hr ill be opening up my coat and I don't buy the replacement propane cells I just refill the old ones with a can of butane

Jack Ryan 10-21-2018 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by redmag (Post 4331741)
Anyone use this type of hand warmer and are they good for cold weather? Not interested in the chemical hand warmers because they do work for me.

Used 'em since we fueled 'em with dried dinosaur dung. Their great. I fuel mine with white gas. You can get that at Walmart in the camping area right next to the Coleman fuel which you can use in them to if you want to spend more money but not quite as much as lighter fluid. If you just want to spend as much as possible then use Zippo Lighter fluid in it.

I've got the charcoal one to but I think it smells worse and is harder to use.

Before you ever light any of them the first time, get some aluminum foil from the kitchen. Cut enough off to wrap up the whole heater very well and wrap it around it when you aren't using it. Then fold it up and save it when the heater is in use. This allows you to wrap it up more or less air tight or at least well enough to essentially "turn it off" if you decide you don't need the heat any more.

Controlling the air controls the heat these things produce, that is what the bag is for they come in. Taking it in and out of the bag and your pocket, playing with it all the time is going to lead to one hot MF pretty quick. It's not a problem with the device, it's a problem with your own self control.

HuntingCrazy 11-01-2018 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by quebechunter (Post 4344927)
I use my thermalcell for a hand warmer with out the scent pad it works great and no smell when its real cold out I use to of them I put one in the front of my coat and one in my pocket and after a half an hr ill be opening up my coat and I don't buy the replacement propane cells I just refill the old ones with a can of butane

Never thought to do that with a thermacell.