Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Hunting Questions

Old 02-09-2018, 06:13 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by CalHunter
I'm sure somebody who hunts in ND will pipe up but in general, you would need to attend and pass a Hunter Safety Course before you can get a hunting license. The course is usually inexpensive and has a lot of good info that you would find useful.

What kind/caliber rifle do you have and what are you interested in hunting?

Also, depending on what you're hunting, it can be fairly inexpensive.
+1 on this. Before you go to far the planning rabbit hole, the hunter's safety class is prob the best place to start. Your goal in hunter's safety is to meet a few people local to you that don't mind showing you the way.
Old 04-06-2018, 04:07 AM
Spike

thanks for the useful info
Old 04-06-2018, 08:28 AM
Spike

Hunt in your local region first. I think the cost is not expensive (about some hundreds of dollars only).
Old 04-20-2018, 12:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

If you want to hunt big game such as deer you will need to find a place to hunt. If you want to hunt inexpensively, a first thing is to think about hunting in your home state so you aren't paying for non-resident hunting licenses, because that can be expensive. Having said that, though, it occurs to me that you aren't too far from Wyoming, and it could be pretty inexpensive to hunt doe Pronghorn Antelope in Wyoming as a non-resident. You can find ample public land in Wyoming to hunt Pronghorn Antelope. If you are a meat hunter -- and that is what I am -- you will be just as happy hunting a doe Pronghorn Antelope as a buck.

If you want to hunt deer in North Dakota, you need to figure out where you can hunt. There may be public land in North Dakota where you can hunt deer. Check that out. You also want to find out how many deer there are around. If there aren't many deer around, that means your success hunting would be a challenge.

The best thing you can do is try to find someone in your area that is a hunter that you can talk to and learn about hunting from them. They might even be willing to take you hunting with them.

Good luck. Hunting is a lot of fun. Don't worry about accumulating a bunch of fancy gear.
Old 06-13-2018, 03:20 AM
Spike

I say this as a gear freak, and let me be clear first spend a lot of time learning how to be safe on the hunt with hunting safety courses (take one regardless if your state requires it). Go to a big box store, get some clothing, get non-camo base layers, knife and boots is what i'd spend the money on. After that see how much you like it and you can upgrade your gear slowly as seasons come and go. Generally everything is cheaper at the first of the year