Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Binocular recommendation ?

Old 10-31-2003, 06:38 AM

Default Binocular recommendation ?

Has anyone out there had experience with Nikons?

Looking at purchasing the Monarch ATB 10x40. Hunt mainly western MD in open fields & hardwoods. Would love the Zeiss but way too much right now.

Also, does anyone know who REALLY makes the glass and/or components for Cabela' s Alaskan Guide binos? If they are out of the same factory for Schmidt & Bender or Zeiss they could be worth getting.

Thanks,
T
Old 10-31-2003, 10:26 AM

Default RE: Binocular recommendation ?

Tom A

I bought the Monarch atb about two months ago They were good binos but the eyepiece broke off really easy. The design was really bad in my opinion. I took them back to Bass Pro and got the Wind River Cascades really love these binos really well built my onlycomplaint is it has smaller fov. Just my opinion. Good Luck
Old 10-31-2003, 01:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

Wouldn' t thank you for any nikon optic, other the nikor camera lens. I have had problems with a pair of binos and a scope, plus know others who have had the same and the CS is plain aweful. If on a budget and interested in a decent optic for a minimal investment look at the Pentax offerings or Bushnell new legend series (i think they are called - Water proof). I have 3 pairs of Pentax and been using them for 7 years now, i truly can' t find a bad thing with any of them and have had to use their CS and it was fantastic(BTW lifetime warranty with most pentax models). I was in need of a smaller pair(compacts) this year and after trying numerous makes, models, etc I choose the 9x25 Bushnell Legends, they were clear, waterproof, lifetime warranty, light and priced very reasonable. I will admit that these won' t compare with zeiss, swars or leica but they aren' t in the same class and not meant too. They are decent optics at a decent price and I have found them to be adequate for all my hunting needs.

WindRivers would be solid as well, here they cost more than better quality Pentax offerings. I had a pair of wind rivers that were stolen and I liked them but the pentax I bought to replace them are better imo. Check around that may not hold true for your area
Old 11-03-2003, 10:27 AM
Giant Nontypical

I thought I would never ever even say this but if I had to buy a pair of quality binos and not spend close to or over a thousand for Euros it would have to be the Leupold 8x42 WIndriver Pinnacles for about 390 bucks in most places and then the Pentax WP Sp 8x43s which will cost a little more.. Both are solid well made binoculars that are just a notch below the 1000 dollar range binos. IN fact the gap is so small youll have to ask yourself if the Euros are worth 600 bucks more. I don' t think so and this is coming from a Leica owner
Old 11-03-2003, 04:10 PM

Iwould have to agree with oldelkhunter. The new Leupold Pinnacle binoculars are great. The contrast, light transmission and color transmission is one of the best out there for the money.

Jon Jackoviak
The Optic Zone
www.theopticzone.com
[email protected]
Old 11-04-2003, 08:27 AM
Giant Nontypical

Jon, how would you compare those Pinnacles to say a Bausch & Lomb discoverer in 7x42 ...I really like both of those glasses...
Old 11-04-2003, 08:29 AM
Giant Nontypical

I am betting the Cabelas are made in Japan for them probably thru Light Optical or some other company to their specs.... You can call Cabelas and aske them where they are manufactured also...
Old 11-04-2003, 11:31 AM

That is a tough one, like you said they are both great binoculars. I like the Pinnacles at little better, for 2 reasons, they are lighter and they feel more comfortable holding onto. One advantage with the 7x42 Discoverer' s, is they will be a little brighter than the 8x42 Pinnacle' s. I would give up that extra light to be able to more comfortable if I had to hold them up, scanning all day.

Jon Jackoviak
The Optic Zone
www.theopticzone.com
[email protected]
Old 11-04-2003, 01:47 PM
JPS

What do you think of the Cascade 8x42?Im looking for binos and here is what I have narrowed it down to.Bushnell Legend 8x42,Nikon Monarch 8x42 or the Leupould Cascade 8x42.What would you prefer and why.Which do you think are better?
Old 11-05-2003, 08:20 PM

Overall I like the Nikon Monarch' s the best. With their optics and phase coating, they are extremely bright and clear. I also like the feel of them in my hands. I like the Bushnells due to the rainguard, but they are ackward to hold for a long period of time. The Leupold Cascades are comfortable to hold but are not as bright or clear as the monarch' s, probably due to the phase coating, which the Cascades do not have. Hopefully this helps you out, but it is just my opinion, someone else may disagree with me.

Jon Jackoviak
The Optic Zone
www.theopticzone.com
[email protected]

Quick Reply: Binocular recommendation ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.