Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Binocular recommendation ?

Old 11-08-2003, 08:13 PM
JPS

Default RE: Binocular recommendation ?

What about the problem with the eye piece on the Nikon? Is this a common problem?I got to look at binos the other day and between the Monarchs and the Legends the Monarchs were more comfortable to hold and alot lighter than the Legends but the Legends felt like they were very durable.I dont purposely abuse my gear but I dont baby them either.I want something very durable.What about durability of these two.
Old 11-10-2003, 10:29 PM

Jon, which one do you think is better the Nikon Monarchs or the Pentax DCF HRII I was leaning towards the Pentax.
Old 11-11-2003, 11:26 AM

I bought 10X42 Bushnell Legends earlier this year. I did a ton of research before buying and selected the Legends because they had all the features I sought at a price I could afford. My second shoice would have been the Nikons. The Legends just felt better to me.
Old 11-13-2003, 06:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

I also bought 8 x 42 Bushnell Legends binoculars this summer. Just came back from hunting and was very impressed with them. I was impressed on how well the rainguard worked in the snow and how clear they were. I also like the design of the body and how well they handled. They felt very comfortable in my hands and I had a good grip when I was looking thru them with just one hand. As for durability, give me a couple of years and I’ll let you know.]
Old 11-13-2003, 10:41 AM

Raymond,

Sorry I can not help you on that one, because I am not very familiar with the Pentax line. I do know that they are a very good pair of binoculars, but not sure on how they compare with the Nikons. As for the Nikon eyepiece, it is not a common problem. I have heard of many different brands have problems of some kind at one point or another, such as the Steiner Predators and the eyecup falling off.

Jon Jackoviak
The Optic Zone
www.theopticzone.com
[email protected]
Old 11-15-2003, 01:12 PM

Hi oldelkhunter,

I' m most definitely going to check out your recommendations. We are looking for a good pair of binoculars for the wife. I have a pair of Swarovski 8X30' s and short of them falling off a mountain or something.....have no intention of replacing them for myself. To my way of thinking they perfectly bridge the gap between the " pocket sized" and " full sized" while doing it with optical brilliance. But the wife is in dire need of a good pair and currently we do not want to spend what it would take to get a second pair of the Swarovski' s.

Thanks for the info!

Will let you know how it turns out.
Old 11-18-2003, 08:34 PM

Can' t beat a pair of leupold' s WindRivers for the price and quality that they offer. I have a pair and I can' t ask for much better for the ruggedness and low light quality that they have.
Old 11-29-2003, 12:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Another vote for Bushnell. I was at Gander Mountain last month and checked all their binoc' s out, from the expensive European models to the american brands. I settled on the Bushnell 8X32 Legends. I wanted a light weight pair mainly for bowhunting and turkey hunting, and these worked out great!! I couldn' t tell the difference between them and the Zeiss, Lecia, or Swarvaroski' s!! They are Phase corrected and water proof and that was the ticket!!! At a price of $269.00, they are almost $400.00 cheaper than the European models, but they runn neck and neck with them in my book. I was very impressed.
Old 11-29-2003, 12:18 PM

Read my post about Binoculars and 2 way radios

Thanks Raymond270
Old 12-07-2003, 07:57 PM
Fork Horn

Have had a god run with Steiners.
Only weakness is the eyepiece not holding it's focus adjustment (Too loose.) have to refocus each time you take them off your back/chest.
Otherwise robust and very clear. Easy on the eyes over prolonged periods of glassing.
Lower end (e.g. safari 8X30) would meet your budget.