HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Hunting Gear Discussion (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/hunting-gear-discussion-32/)
-   -   Rokon questions (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/hunting-gear-discussion/415399-rokon-questions.html)

jrpitdog 08-28-2017 06:44 PM

Rokon questions

So I just finished an elk hunt. Where I hunt is remote, to get to the camp site I have to go over a high mountain pass on my little dirt bike on what is essentially a goat path with steep nasty switch backs. Most of the trail is covered in rocks or exposed roots, it gets very interesting when wet and downright gnarly when packing meat. So my question is to those who have actually used a Rokon for this purpose or have seen one used like this. How good are they at climbing steep nasty switchbacks like this loaded heavy!? I would like to ask that those without firsthand knowledge to please keep the speculation to a minimum. I am not trying to be a jerk but I have been looking for a while and only a two wheeler or my two feet will get me where I want to hunt, and no Im not finding another spot:wink:. Its come down to a Rokon or probably a tw200. I really like the idea of no shifting, slow controlled accent and high load capability of the Rokon. The tw would give me a more comfortable ride and the ability to go from road to trail but I would like to get away from shifting and clutch work if I can and tw probably cant carry as much as safely.

stalkingbear 09-01-2017 12:50 PM

A lot of people, including me, are kind of put off by the appearance/specs of the Rokon. If they try to use it as a conventional dirt bike, it will fail miserably, BUT if they use it for the purposes it was designed for, it's in a class all it's own. They're not fast, light, or look good compared to regular dirt bikes, they are worth their weight in gold when needed for exactly the purposes you stated, and without peers. I'd LOVE to get 1, and have been wanting 1 ever since my buddy let me use a lot of his stuff while deployed. I was watching everything for him & maintaining all of it or even upgrading/improving his stuff for him in exchange for the use of it. Now I'd do the same for just about anybody serving, and we have such a friendship that he could walk or drive up to my house, and take off with anything I own, and vice versa. To sum it up, the Rokons grow on you after actually trying 1 for it's intended uses-not as a 2 stroke superfast dirt bike, but something that will tackle hills & terrain, all while loaded down so much that it can handle more than some small trucks that a mountain goat would fear to tread!!!!! Yes I'd buy 1 in a heartbeat if I could afford 1, but being on fixed income makes that kind of impossible to save up for. Financing or a lotto win are my only hopes since I'm fresh out of ultra rich ailing uncles, and I'm so broke I'd have to put free cheese on layaway!

jrpitdog 09-12-2017 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by stalkingbear (Post 4314897)
A lot of people, including me, are kind of put off by the appearance/specs of the Rokon. If they try to use it as a conventional dirt bike, it will fail miserably, BUT if they use it for the purposes it was designed for, it's in a class all it's own. They're not fast, light, or look good compared to regular dirt bikes, they are worth their weight in gold when needed for exactly the purposes you stated, and without peers. I'd LOVE to get 1, and have been wanting 1 ever since my buddy let me use a lot of his stuff while deployed. I was watching everything for him & maintaining all of it or even upgrading/improving his stuff for him in exchange for the use of it. Now I'd do the same for just about anybody serving, and we have such a friendship that he could walk or drive up to my house, and take off with anything I own, and vice versa. To sum it up, the Rokons grow on you after actually trying 1 for it's intended uses-not as a 2 stroke superfast dirt bike, but something that will tackle hills & terrain, all while loaded down so much that it can handle more than some small trucks that a mountain goat would fear to tread!!!!! Yes I'd buy 1 in a heartbeat if I could afford 1, but being on fixed income makes that kind of impossible to save up for. Financing or a lotto win are my only hopes since I'm fresh out of ultra rich ailing uncles, and I'm so broke I'd have to put free cheese on layaway!

Thanks for the input. I hear a lot about their capabilities. The only thing that gives me a few lingering doubts is that I see a lot of them for sale only a short while after being bought. I guess that could be chalked up to people not realizing what they are getting. Then again who looks at a rokon and thinks 'wow, good looking mx bike right there!". I too have not the $$$$ to purchase new, but I have started looking used. The thing is I hear a ton of anecdotal claims but very few claims from people who have actually put them to the test, not counting those trying to sell😉