Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Put cargo baskets on my ATV

Old 08-26-2017, 12:14 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default Put cargo baskets on my ATV

On Friday I put front and rear cargo baskets on my ATV. I bought them from Sportsman's Guide. They will do the job but I think they need to change the way they mount. They come with 4 inch bolts and a bunch of steel strips about 1x5 inches long with several holes in them. You are supposed to put the strips on the bottom of the basket and a matching strip on the top and then put the nut on the bold and tighten them. I didn't like it, it was possible to get your hand under the rack on the ATV and the bottom of the baskets. I bought a bunch of U-bolts and got rid of the steel strip on them and used the black strips that came with the kit. Inserted the you bolts from beneath and then the strip and tightened them up. I wish the rear basket didn't extend so far over the back of the ATV. I will use it for this deer season and if I still don't like it, I will replace it with another or alter the one I have now. I took the photos in my garage so they are a little dark but you can get an idea of them. The set only cost 80 bucks so if I have to alter or replace the rear it won't matter much.

Last edited by Oldtimr; 08-27-2017 at 08:19 AM. Reason: added new picture
Old 08-28-2017, 02:31 AM
Dominant Buck

Nice looking setup OT. Should enable you to get that deer out of the woods in style. Last year while recovering from my heart bypass surgery I shot a 150 pound 5 point buck near the house. I was on a lifting restriction of no more than 10 pounds so I called my wife who loaded up the wheeler with a garden cart and drove it up onto the ridge to help me load it up. Just another tool to help us out.

Last edited by Champlain Islander; 08-28-2017 at 02:34 AM.
Old 08-28-2017, 03:25 AM
Boone & Crockett

Never thought I would want one, however after dragging the last two deer I shot up out of a ravine that runs by my stand where they decided to go to die I realized they don't drag as easily as they did before I hit 70. Any more go into the ravine, I will be going down with the winch cable.
Old 08-28-2017, 04:37 PM
Dominant Buck

You have me by a year. With age brings wisdom. I never used mine when hunting the big woods. Now that I hunt closer to home I have used it for more than a few retrievals.
Old 09-02-2017, 05:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

I am a few years older then that and also have a Kawasaki, a 650 that I use for deer hunting. I have thought about cargo baskets but never sprang for them. If I did I think I would want only the front one. I have tied deer onto the top of the back rack as is and made sure that nothing hung over enough to cause a problem. I take my ATV to the farm on a 4'X6' trailer and can hitch that on the back of the ATV if I needed to haul several deer at a time. If it was not for an ATV my deer hunting would be very restricted, also they are fun to ride.
Old 09-02-2017, 06:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

just a FYI, if you ever go and hook up a trailer to this atv , watch your head, them darn rear racks that stick out like that make that simple task SO much harder than needed, all the more so the one's that have the drop down in the back as well LOL
at camp, I get the kids to do that now for me, there shorter and bend over easier!
Old 09-02-2017, 07:09 AM
Boone & Crockett

Yeah, I found our how hard it is to get to my owners manual and tools stored in a little box in the back of my atv. I am thinking about buying a back basket that has the drop down part made so you can use it up or down.
Old 09-02-2017, 07:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would suggest removing the owners manual from that box, they tend to get some moisture in there and they can get ruined over time
tool? I like to keep mine in a water proof plastic container for same reason, coat with a little light oil first!
it keeps them from getting rusty over time, I also add some more useful tools too, like vice grips, zip ties, and a small LED flashlight! !
I also carry a good winch bag, with a snatch block,D shackle ,tree saver strap, ratchet straps and some other things that tend to come in real handy out in the field on an atv
also a good idea to keep a few bungee cords on racks too, they also come in handy and last a long time there?

over the yrs you tend to find things that help while out and about
a folding hand saw is nice at times too LOl
you can also get a decent sized army ammo can and just attach that to your rack to store things in too, very common ad on on atv racks
Old 09-02-2017, 07:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Oldtimer, another GREAT thing to ADD to your atv, is a small LED REAR light/s
they can be had very cheap off Ebay these days, and when out hunting at night and you have to back up to things, there priceless, simple to add on too,simple toggle switch on bar or? LED draw very little power and some of them light bars are incredibly bright, many have side angled lights on the ends, so they really make backing up at night simple .
about 30 bucks for one, so not too costly again and really makes life easier on you!
Old 09-02-2017, 08:23 AM
Boone & Crockett

Good ideas, thanks. I have been toying with putting together a small tool box to keep on the machine. I like the idea of some LED lights.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.