Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Portable Tent Heater

Old 07-23-2017, 08:38 PM
Spike

Default Portable Tent Heater

Fellow outdoors men/women:
I am looking for suggestions regarding portable tent heater(s).
I have a tent that fits in my F-150. I am open to suggestions on what type of heater would be best for the inside of this type of tent. I am a little skeptical about using a propane "Mr. Heater" type inside this type of tent. I have looked at several of the heaters that plug into the power plug-in. Does anyone have any suggestions on what type of heater would be safe and senseable for a Pick-up truck tent. Please contact me by either PM or my yahoo email address.
Old 07-24-2017, 04:34 AM
Typical Buck

I am guessing conern on propane is CO2. But what different is this than a ice shanty or deer blind? Need venting. Electric heat would be hard on the battery, if you can find one for 12 VDC. Maybe a 2nd battery and inverter.

nuwaystoves. I can't post link, but you can google them. Wood and propane.
Some deer hunters really like these. But they are pricey and need venting. Could maybe make up some kind of stand.

I think propane is the only real option for almost any portable heat. A wood stove small enough for back of your truck would require lots of feeding I would think. I do get the concern about sleeping with propane, or any other heater. Maybe some guys that have done it, can chime in.

Maybe electric is possible, with diode to block going to main heater, so you can start in the morning. I know a guy who runs a small fridge. But a fridge isn't running all the time.
Old 07-24-2017, 05:15 AM
Boone & Crockett

I think you mean CO,Carbon Monoxide, not CO2, carbon dioxide. Carbon Monoxide is a very real concern when burning an unvented propane heater in a small space. I sure wouldn't do it. You could wind up not waking up,red and dead. For the record, there is a difference between a tent and an ice shanty and deer blind when you can open a window and you are awake than being zipped up in a tent asleep.

Last edited by Oldtimr; 07-24-2017 at 05:21 AM.
Old 07-24-2017, 06:03 AM
Giant Nontypical

I know of no small propane heater that would even work in the back of a truck and you would have to hang it to keep it out of your way. I have used a MR Heater for years in my A Liner camper and the last few years in my 19' trailer. They have an an automatic oxygen sensor that shuts them off if the level gets too low. I've never had that happen though. Both roof vents are kept open, as are a couple windows and I have CO alarms that will go off if that builds up also, but have never had a problem. I would never use one without plenty of ventilation along with safety alarms if you use one at night. I think the OP needs a small electric one that can be used with a converter or hooked to a very small generator that could be kept a decent distance from his PU.

PS: I tried to send the OP an email like he asked for and it came back as not accepted and I won't waste my time trying by PM since he can come back to his thread if he wants help.

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 07-24-2017 at 06:55 AM. Reason: add on
Old 07-24-2017, 02:48 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
I deer blind when you can open a window and you are awake than being zipped up in a tent asleep.
You could not zip the tent.
Old 07-24-2017, 02:54 PM
Typical Buck

A generator would be a loud way to spend a night.

Something of the side or outside is probably theway to go. put a tack into trailer hitch for a mount.

Or choose a better time of year. Heavy sleeping bags would work, people camp in the winter. I don't.
Old 07-24-2017, 02:58 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Berserker
You could not zip the tent.
You could also sleep out on the ground without a tent, LOL!
Old 07-24-2017, 03:02 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Berserker
A generator would be a loud way to spend a night.

***I guess you haven't seen the latest in generators that are so quiet you can almost sleep on top of them!

Something of the side or outside is probably the way to go. put a tack into trailer hitch for a mount.

***HUH??????

Or choose a better time of year. Heavy sleeping bags would work, people camp in the winter. I don't.
***He wants to hunt out of it, so it's sort of puts him into the hunting season time frame and doesn't allow him to pick when the weather suits him!

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 07-24-2017 at 03:05 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 07-24-2017, 03:25 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Topgun 3006
You could also sleep out on the ground without a tent, LOL!
Tents have zippered windows. Tents also keep the rain off. If warm enough for bugs, it can better than the ground too.

So I can see a lot of benefits to not sleeping on the ground.
Old 07-24-2017, 03:28 PM
Typical Buck

Can you rent the campers for the back of truck bed? That would be cool. Obviously more money to buy one, and you have to store it. I have thought one would be nice for hunting.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.