Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Hunting Gear Discussion
Hunting Retail Cycles: When's the Best Time to Buy? What and Where? >

Hunting Retail Cycles: When's the Best Time to Buy? What and Where?

Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Hunting Retail Cycles: When's the Best Time to Buy? What and Where?

Old 04-22-2017, 11:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Hunting Retail Cycles: When's the Best Time to Buy? What and Where?

So I've been wanting to buy a climbing stand. It's not an urgent need, however, and I'm not even worried about getting a climber in time for next season. I'm perfectly content to hunt exclusively from the ground another year, but eventually I do want to diversify my methods. When I do buy, though, I want to buy at the right time.

In fact, as far as buying for next season goes, I suspect the best time has already passed, as deer archery retail season is about to get really hot as soon as turkey season passes.
Nonetheless, this is a purchase I want to make in the "intermediate future." So when and where should I look hard?

I have no qualms about buying models that are becoming obsolete because the "next big thing" is about to be announced. In fact, from department stores 80%+ off sales to candy on the shelf a week or two after Valentine's, that's how my wife and I roll. What can I say? We're grad students.
Help me figure out "retail season" in the hunting world (both in Cabela's-sized stores and smaller operations). If you feel like breaking down the retail cycles for guns, clothing, and or whatever you know best, it'll be much appreciated. I'm taking notes.
Old 04-22-2017, 11:31 AM
Boone & Crockett

Generally, after the deer season is over and before inventory time. That is when retailers have sale prices to reduce their inventory and lower their tax load.
Old 04-22-2017, 03:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for pointing out when the general selloff is; from what you said, I guess it more-or-less corresponds with when department stores really ditch a lot of stock---the very beginning of January (aside from Black Friday, I suppose). At least in the South, seasons tend to end no earlier.

The only problem was, this past January when I went to Cabela's to take advantage of some sales on gun cleaning supplies and knives, there was not a single climber in the store!!!! There were a few hang-on stands, but that was it. Apparently at some earlier point the climbers had gone on sale, and everyone and their brother pounced. This made me wonder whether treestands, specifically, tend to go down once gun season begins. I have been told that archery equipment certainly does, and I've definitely seen great deals on spring turkey equipment in the summer.
I guess I'm really wondering what the "sub-trends" are when it comes to hunting and outdoor sales.
Old 04-22-2017, 04:10 PM
Typical Buck

May want to check out the used market too younggun308. I see used tree stands all the time in the classifieds. I guess some people buy them and just don't like a certain feature that may not bother another individual. I tend to lean toward Summit tree stands since they have served me well over the years and those in my family. I remember a few years back buying a new model that I liked in the store but when I got it home and practiced and sat in it a bit, it just didn't fit me well. While not as big as my old man, I still tip the scales at around 240 with overly large feet and this stand just didn't fit me well. I am assuming this probably happens a lot in the world.
Old 04-23-2017, 09:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for the tip, hunters_life. I'll be sure to check classifieds, Craigslist, and even Facebook marketplace.
I was initially hoping to use Cabela's gift cards from Christmas gifts, but no doubt I'll find something to spend those on.
Old 04-23-2017, 10:28 AM
Boone & Crockett

Younggun, of course it is up to you, but I would be very careful about buying a used ladder stand from someone you do not know. You don't know how it was taken care of or the real reason they are selling it. If you start with a new one, if something goes wrong, at least you will have some kind of recourse.
Old 04-23-2017, 01:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Waiting after deer season is a good time because of items are going on sale. Another option, save that money from last January and add a little more each month. You have plenty of time to find the perfect stand for you by this deer season. Then find the best deal on that treestand and buy it.
Old 04-30-2017, 01:17 AM
Super Moderator

For local stores around me I've found Di*** sporting goods has the best deals on stands. Usually right after Christmas they will have a good sale. I've bought several hang on stands for $39.99 the last few years that were originally priced at $89... Also have gotten two two man ladder stands for $89 that were priced at $149... I consider these to be good deals. My climbing stand is an open front Summit, I forget the exact model. I really like it though. I did not get as good of a deal on that, but it was specifically what I was looking for and I was willing to pay the price....

As someone else mentioned... I see treestands on craigslist often and have bought ladder stands there before for as low as $20. If you know what to look at, I wouldn't hesitate to try the used market. Just make sure everything looks good.
-Jake
Old 05-08-2017, 07:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Given my interest in stalk hunting in the mountains, and the drudgery of dragging a deer out of the woods after going in deep, I've been looking at equipping myself to pack game out of the woods.
Yesterday I visited Cabela's, and fell in love with this frame pack they make:
http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/produ...ium=AFF&rid=10

It's got excellent reviews, is incredibly comfortable, feels light, and made from great material. It's like an extension of the spine.
I'm wondering if the approaching summer portends a sale in camping and hiking supplies, and whether this pack could drop in price. I see around Black Friday it dropped from $270 to $199, but clearly I would want it far sooner than that.
Anyone notice when tents and packs tend to go on sale? How's around Memorial Day and Labor Day?
Old 05-08-2017, 07:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

I also understand that since several contributors to this thread have gotten a one-week ban, some input might not be forthcoming for awhile (maybe they're tired of this thread, anyway, but what else is there to do on this site, really? The more the merrier.).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.