Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Hunting Gear Discussion
What hunting knife would you bring in a deer hunting trip? >

What hunting knife would you bring in a deer hunting trip?

Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

What hunting knife would you bring in a deer hunting trip?

Old 03-12-2017, 09:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

I always carry a sharp one and a spare sharp one. And carry a pocket steel to keep them sharp.

My last teacher/mentor, master hunter, couldn't sharpen a knife. Got to be running joke, he'd start to try to saw through a Deer or Hog with a dull blade gutting it and I'd hand him a knife.
Old 03-19-2017, 11:44 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by muzzlestuffer
What type of trip and what animal ?
Hi a multipurpose knife for deer hunting
Old 03-19-2017, 11:47 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Sheridan
Since you already have a fixed blade all you need is a stone & a Havalon.

+ You might find a Gerber folding saw helpful !
Thank You Sheridan!
Old 03-20-2017, 05:07 AM
Fork Horn

A knife like you posted with a good drop point for cutting and skinning. Most knives are made for stabbing and not actual work like processing and gutting.
Old 03-24-2017, 05:26 AM
Spike

This is the Green River Knife that I use to clean and skin elk, deer, and antelope. Inexpensive, high carbon steel that is easy to sharpen, durable and easily replaceable. Coupled with a Havalon or another very sharp knife with a good point, you can handle any hunting task. As Rockport mentioned, this knife is also extremely useful when you get the game at home for processing.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/262559812830...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Last edited by paveglass; 03-24-2017 at 05:29 AM.
Old 03-24-2017, 05:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by outdoorlyf
Hi a multipurpose knife for deer hunting
I used to carry a buck knife but I was trying to find ways to lighten up my pack so I went with a Gerber and switched out all my halogen lights to led and keep fewer spare batteries made a big difference in my pack weight !
Old 04-15-2017, 08:24 AM
BTM
Fork Horn

Whatever knife you get, don't get it in camo unless you want to lose it (or spend half of your gutting time looking for it). Bright orange for me!
Old 04-20-2017, 08:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

These two knives are always in my hunting pack. A Buck Folding Hunter and a Knives of Alaska Trekker Elk Hunter. The Buck stays sharp and is easy to sharpen. I will field dress/skin game or if I'm waiting for deer or whatever prepare a meal with if I get hungry. It is easy to clean and maintain.

My Trekker Elk Hunter is made D2 steel. It requires time to sharpen to get to shaving sharpness but is tough as nails. I've broke a Buck knife once working it too hard. I've hacked limbs with this thing on days I didn't think to bring a saw. It is more of a utility knife for me to keep the Buck sharp and ready for handling game.
Old 05-02-2017, 08:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by paveglass
This is the Green River Knife that I use to clean and skin elk, deer, and antelope. Inexpensive, high carbon steel that is easy to sharpen, durable and easily replaceable. Coupled with a Havalon or another very sharp knife with a good point, you can handle any hunting task. As Rockport mentioned, this knife is also extremely useful when you get the game at home for processing.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/262559812830...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
Hard to beat a green river......Specially with the trend of knives so thick they are better suited for digging a hole than processing animals.
Old 05-20-2017, 02:31 PM
Spike

Best knife I ever had is an eye brand... The german steel is tough to beat

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.