HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Hunting Gear Discussion (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/hunting-gear-discussion-32/)
-   -   Boot Insulation Question/Recomendations (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/hunting-gear-discussion/412443-boot-insulation-question-recomendations.html)

cj11b 03-08-2017 01:34 PM

Boot Insulation Question/Recomendations

Hey all,
I am looking for a pair of hunting boots. I will be hunting in northern NM and the temp ranges are pretty wide... ~15 degrees to 70 is what I'm hearing. I have a decent pair of summer boots so I am more concerned with the colder temps. How many grams of insulation would be recommended? I used Danner's while I was in the army and was happy with them, but I would be open to recommendations of other brands as well.
Thanks for any help/input!

Rob in VT 03-08-2017 04:45 PM

Assuming that you will be elk hunting? I hunt southern Colorado each year and use a 400 gram Meindle leather boot. With elk hunting, you are on the move often so it's not like sitting in a tree stand for hours freezing.

cj11b 03-08-2017 05:37 PM

Ive got an archery elk hunt, but the one I am concerned with is a mid-november mule deer hunt. And ok, do you find waterproofing is something that I need to be worried about?

Sheridan 03-08-2017 10:09 PM

If you got the dough;

http://www.lintonoutdoors.com/footwear/

Valentine 03-09-2017 05:17 AM

I use to wear military boots in warmer weather

Then I experimented with woolen socks for winter. I waterproofed my boots, tent, jackets, and coats. Used a spray, heavy duty silicone spray, from an auto department.
Then I got a pair of military surplus, Swiss army woolen gaiters, that made the uninsulated boots warmer and protected much of the boot.

Tested them in 7 degree weather and worked great as a back-up or main boot.
Certainly isn't a $500 or $999 boot. Sure glad of that. Sure glad of leaving those expensive boots to others. I hike 12 months a year.

Valentine 03-09-2017 05:35 AM

Checked on an old kitchen knife

Had a relative preparing a home-made soup in the kitchen.

"That knife sharp ?" I asked . It was then I realized how much money I saved on Arkansas stone knife sharpening.
I looked at the current prices of stones on the internet. I found them priced for three from $21 to $50 dollars. The latter a shock since my stones are over 20 years old, and purchased on sale at a store that over-stocked them. Paid about eight dollars to sharpen knives.

The relative, a good cook, was interested in a better knife sharpener. A common story I'm afraid.

Was surprised I resharpened the knife in two minutes. Sure glad knife sharpening become a hobby of mine. Sure was a good home made soup.

antGone 08-23-2017 05:33 PM

Here I found a good hunting boots review. You can check it before buying your pair.

JohnnyHildo 09-30-2017 03:32 PM

400 grams is the beginnings of boot insulation and will basically suffice for all but the coldest of late season conditions. i live in Saskatchewan Canada and keep a set of 400's and a set of 800's for late Nov-early Dec deer season.

Mickey Finn 10-02-2017 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by cj11b (Post 4296803)
Hey all,
I am looking for a pair of hunting boots. I will be hunting in northern NM and the temp ranges are pretty wide... ~15 degrees to 70 is what I'm hearing. I have a decent pair of summer boots so I am more concerned with the colder temps. How many grams of insulation would be recommended? I used Danner's while I was in the army and was happy with them, but I would be open to recommendations of other brands as well.
Thanks for any help/input!

Well it depends a lot on you and how you are hunting. If you are walking mostly you may get buy with your Danner's and good socks. Maybe even a pair of liners. Gaiters will help keep your feet warm as well. If you are sitting in below 40 degree weather than I'd suggest pac style boots rated for -100 degrees. I know that sounds extreme but the testing is odd and that is the minimum for comfort while sitting. If you are hiking in then sitting for a long time then maybe a pair of boot blankets carried in your pack would be better. Cabela's sells these.

Good luck!

Berserker 10-04-2017 06:38 PM

This is tough topic. Some trial and error.

You will get the guys who say they can wear slippers when its 40 below.

It depends what you are doing. I work outside, and even when moving it gets cold at some point.

I own a few boots, lots of socks.