Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Hunting Gear Discussion
Boot Insulation Question/Recomendations >

Boot Insulation Question/Recomendations

Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Boot Insulation Question/Recomendations

Old 03-08-2017, 01:34 PM
Spike

Default Boot Insulation Question/Recomendations

Hey all,
I am looking for a pair of hunting boots. I will be hunting in northern NM and the temp ranges are pretty wide... ~15 degrees to 70 is what I'm hearing. I have a decent pair of summer boots so I am more concerned with the colder temps. How many grams of insulation would be recommended? I used Danner's while I was in the army and was happy with them, but I would be open to recommendations of other brands as well.
Thanks for any help/input!
Old 03-08-2017, 04:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Assuming that you will be elk hunting? I hunt southern Colorado each year and use a 400 gram Meindle leather boot. With elk hunting, you are on the move often so it's not like sitting in a tree stand for hours freezing.
Old 03-08-2017, 05:37 PM
Spike

Ive got an archery elk hunt, but the one I am concerned with is a mid-november mule deer hunt. And ok, do you find waterproofing is something that I need to be worried about?
Old 03-08-2017, 10:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

If you got the dough;

http://www.lintonoutdoors.com/footwear/
Old 03-09-2017, 05:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default I use to wear military boots in warmer weather

Then I experimented with woolen socks for winter. I waterproofed my boots, tent, jackets, and coats. Used a spray, heavy duty silicone spray, from an auto department.
Then I got a pair of military surplus, Swiss army woolen gaiters, that made the uninsulated boots warmer and protected much of the boot.

Tested them in 7 degree weather and worked great as a back-up or main boot.
Certainly isn't a $500 or $999 boot. Sure glad of that. Sure glad of leaving those expensive boots to others. I hike 12 months a year.
Old 03-09-2017, 05:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Checked on an old kitchen knife

Had a relative preparing a home-made soup in the kitchen.

"That knife sharp ?" I asked . It was then I realized how much money I saved on Arkansas stone knife sharpening.
I looked at the current prices of stones on the internet. I found them priced for three from $21 to $50 dollars. The latter a shock since my stones are over 20 years old, and purchased on sale at a store that over-stocked them. Paid about eight dollars to sharpen knives.

The relative, a good cook, was interested in a better knife sharpener. A common story I'm afraid.

Was surprised I resharpened the knife in two minutes. Sure glad knife sharpening become a hobby of mine. Sure was a good home made soup.
Old 08-23-2017, 05:33 PM
Spike

Here I found a good hunting boots review. You can check it before buying your pair.

Last edited by antGone; 11-30-2017 at 10:34 AM.
Old 09-30-2017, 03:32 PM
Fork Horn

400 grams is the beginnings of boot insulation and will basically suffice for all but the coldest of late season conditions. i live in Saskatchewan Canada and keep a set of 400's and a set of 800's for late Nov-early Dec deer season.
Old 10-02-2017, 02:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by cj11b
Hey all,
I am looking for a pair of hunting boots. I will be hunting in northern NM and the temp ranges are pretty wide... ~15 degrees to 70 is what I'm hearing. I have a decent pair of summer boots so I am more concerned with the colder temps. How many grams of insulation would be recommended? I used Danner's while I was in the army and was happy with them, but I would be open to recommendations of other brands as well.
Thanks for any help/input!
Well it depends a lot on you and how you are hunting. If you are walking mostly you may get buy with your Danner's and good socks. Maybe even a pair of liners. Gaiters will help keep your feet warm as well. If you are sitting in below 40 degree weather than I'd suggest pac style boots rated for -100 degrees. I know that sounds extreme but the testing is odd and that is the minimum for comfort while sitting. If you are hiking in then sitting for a long time then maybe a pair of boot blankets carried in your pack would be better. Cabela's sells these.

Good luck!
Old 10-04-2017, 06:38 PM
Typical Buck

This is tough topic. Some trial and error.

You will get the guys who say they can wear slippers when its 40 below.

It depends what you are doing. I work outside, and even when moving it gets cold at some point.

I own a few boots, lots of socks.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.