Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

New boots

Old 12-17-2016, 03:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default New boots

Looking for a tough pair of hiking/hunting boots to wear while I'm runnin & gunnin. Something relatively light but that provides decent ankle support when running up & down the mountains of VA. Don't need a super tough hunting boot that I'd want to wear in the mountains out West but something a little easier. Probably 0 - 400 grams of insulation tops. I've got a pair of Danner Pronghorns which I like but they're not real light & are too heavy. Any recommendations?
Old 12-17-2016, 07:38 AM
Banned

I have a pair made by keen that might fit the bill.

other things to consider when buying boots.

In Wyoming there was this young ranch kid that went to town. As he was walking down the street, he looked into a store front and was immediately smitten with the desire to own the best pair of cowboy boots he had ever seen. Unfortunately, they were way out of his price range and his family couldn't afford them either, so he never got them.

Over the years he always thought about them even through high school, college, and the military. Eventually he got married, raised a family that grew up, moved away and had their own families. And before he knew it, he became an old geezer, just him and his wife of 50+ years.....

Then one day it happened. He was walking down a street in town, looked into a store front, and there they were. The boots just as he had remembered, it was a life long dream come true. They were still expensive, but that didn't matter, he had to have them. So after he bought them, he was so happy, maybe the happiest he had been in years. He rushed home where his wife was working on her needle point. Standing in front of her, he asked "Hey! notice anything different?" She leaned forward, looked over her glasses, scanned him head to foot, and replied "No Ray, there's nothing different." So, he went into the bedroom and removed all his clothes except for the boots, and returned to stand in front of his wife and said "Hey, notice anything different?". Again his wife leaned forward, looked over her glasses, scanned him head to foot, and replied "No Ray, there's nothing different, it's hanging down, it was hanging down yesterday, it'll be hanging down tomorrow". So he says "do you know why it's hanging down????" She says "No Ray,..Why is it hanging down?" "Because it's looking at my new boots!!!!". At which point she sinks back into her chair, shakes her head and mutters "Should have bought a hat Ray, should have bought a hat...."
Old 12-17-2016, 03:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thumbs up

I love L.L.Bean boots...
Old 12-18-2016, 01:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by kidoggy

In Wyoming there was this young ranch kid that went to town. As he was walking down the street, he looked into a store front and was immediately smitten with the desire to own the best pair of cowboy boots he had ever seen. Unfortunately, they were way out of his price range and his family couldn't afford them either, so he never got them.

Over the years he always thought about them even through high school, college, and the military. Eventually he got married, raised a family that grew up, moved away and had their own families. And before he knew it, he became an old geezer, just him and his wife of 50+ years.....

Then one day it happened. He was walking down a street in town, looked into a store front, and there they were. The boots just as he had remembered, it was a life long dream come true. They were still expensive, but that didn't matter, he had to have them. So after he bought them, he was so happy, maybe the happiest he had been in years. He rushed home where his wife was working on her needle point. Standing in front of her, he asked "Hey! notice anything different?" She leaned forward, looked over her glasses, scanned him head to foot, and replied "No Ray, there's nothing different." So, he went into the bedroom and removed all his clothes except for the boots, and returned to stand in front of his wife and said "Hey, notice anything different?". Again his wife leaned forward, looked over her glasses, scanned him head to foot, and replied "No Ray, there's nothing different, it's hanging down, it was hanging down yesterday, it'll be hanging down tomorrow". So he says "do you know why it's hanging down????" She says "No Ray,..Why is it hanging down?" "Because it's looking at my new boots!!!!". At which point she sinks back into her chair, shakes her head and mutters "Should have bought a hat Ray, should have bought a hat...."
Worth the price of admission, right there.
Old 12-18-2016, 02:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Went with Marine boots

Got them cheaper than normal; they were blem boots.

In the winter, I wear wool socks in the uninsulated boot and wear Swiss army gaiters over the boots, upper part. Dang, my tough feet can take them. My pocket can take the lower price. Of course, I'm well worn in to long hikes. Well worn in. They are not newbie feet, that needs $500 boots.
Old 12-18-2016, 04:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

I am well aware that you can spend a lot more for "better" boots.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/home/...F105543180.uts

Last edited by Sheridan; 12-18-2016 at 04:45 PM.
Old 12-18-2016, 05:30 PM
Spike

NICE. Found a 1" slice in the rubber heel of one of my Irish Setter boots Friday. HOPE it's fixed but if it don't hold those boots are an option.
Old 12-30-2016, 05:14 AM
Spike

I always liked Asolo boots, very rugged.
Old 01-02-2017, 07:40 AM
Typical Buck

asolo boots are tough.....take a long time to break in but they do offer excellent ankle support....they arent the lightest boot though. There might be the perfect boot out there for you but normally you have to give up some things when you want a light boot.
Old 02-15-2017, 05:06 AM
Spike

Salomon Quest GTX all the way.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.