Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Hunting Gear Discussion
Pop Up Blinds in Cold Weather? >

Pop Up Blinds in Cold Weather?

Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Pop Up Blinds in Cold Weather?

Old 11-22-2016, 06:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Pop Up Blinds in Cold Weather?

I have a couple of Primos pop up blinds that I use for turkey hunting and fall archery deer hunting. I left one up for our November rifle season as it was in a good spot.

The second weekend of our rifle season we had heavy rain most of the day. It then started to turn to snow. I had seen several deer that afternoon so decided to hunt the pop up in the morning as well. When I got the the blind in the AM, I couldn't get into it because the zipper was frozen! Ended up gong to a ladder stand I had near by.

So my question is this; is there a pop up blind on the market today that doesn't use zippers that can freeze in cold weather?
Old 11-23-2016, 01:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default I was thinking about using a pop up blind during cold weather

But I was going to take it from a warm area and carry it into and out of the woods on the same day. Use it to continue to hunt for awhile and get out of the cold winds.
Old 11-23-2016, 03:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

I had the same problem with my Ameristep blinds here in Michigan. I contacted Ameristep in Clio Michigan about putting little flaps over the zippers to prevent the problem. They basically gave me the finger and said they were pop up blinds designed to be transported out in the morning and back in the evening. I took one to a canvas shop with some camo cloth strips and they sewed them in place to keep snow and freezing rain out of the zippers. Since I had it done after the fact at a canvas shop It cost me $35.00 for the cloth and sewing labor. Told Ameristep I would never recommend there blinds to any one for fall winter hunting I am sure they could do the cloth strips over the zipper for less than $10.00 per blind done at the factory.

I don't know of any company that really cares about their customers and put a cover over the zippers.

Al
Old 11-23-2016, 03:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

That's ridiculous to tell you to take in down each time you use it. The whole point of putting it out is so animals get use to it and are not spooked.

I see there are a few companies now using buckles like on back packs. I will have to check into those.
Old 11-23-2016, 04:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

If it gets chunked up it is a real problem, but for normal frozen zippers and old military trick, rub the zipper down with a cheap candle.

I've used Kiwi Mink oil/wax shoe prep and I've used silicon car wax. The silicon car wax worked the best, i always have a candle around.
Old 11-23-2016, 05:19 AM
Typical Buck

sportsmans guide has a blind that the whole back lifts up to make entry easier I have one like it very much
Old 11-23-2016, 06:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by MudderChuck
If it gets chunked up it is a real problem, but for normal frozen zippers and old military trick, rub the zipper down with a cheap candle.

I've used Kiwi Mink oil/wax shoe prep and I've used silicon car wax. The silicon car wax worked the best, i always have a candle around.
I use the candle was as well and it works great. My brother picked me up some kind of silicone/carnuba car wax that works pretty nice as well. I have 5 pop ups and LOVE them!!! I wouldn't consider firearms hunting here in Il without them.
Old 11-23-2016, 07:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

I'm a bee keeper I have melted wax and let it soak in the zippers and that didn't help when a wet sloppy snow melted thru the day and froze in the evening be fore I would get out of the blind.
Tried dri slide and a Remington oil that dry's also and none of that stuff would work in those really wet freezing stuff. Had a friend said to buy a 2 quart thermos and fill with hot water to unfreeze the zippers. Why don't I just build some perment stand blinds? OH that's right I did and even made one portable I can move it with the ATV or pull it in place alone for a short distance.

As long as people keep buying those blinds with open zippers they will never fix them. I suppose that 40 of the 48 continuance states never get the weather we do during fire arm deer season.

Al
Old 11-24-2016, 02:58 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Rob in VT
I have a couple of Primos pop up blinds that I use for turkey hunting and fall archery deer hunting. I left one up for our November rifle season as it was in a good spot.

The second weekend of our rifle season we had heavy rain most of the day. It then started to turn to snow. I had seen several deer that afternoon so decided to hunt the pop up in the morning as well. When I got the the blind in the AM, I couldn't get into it because the zipper was frozen! Ended up gong to a ladder stand I had near by.

So my question is this; is there a pop up blind on the market today that doesn't use zippers that can freeze in cold weather?
The muddy bale blind would probably solve your problem. It also has a steel structure that can support heavy snow.
Old 11-27-2016, 08:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default iF I kept a zipper out in the freezing cold all night

I'd carry a can of heavy duty silicone spray. Use it to water proof winter clothing. I save on the cost of the water proofed clothing.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.