Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Hunting Gear Discussion
Pop Up Blinds in Cold Weather? >

Pop Up Blinds in Cold Weather?

Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Pop Up Blinds in Cold Weather?

Old 11-28-2016, 04:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Alleyyooper, maybe you should check into protecting your idea. Someday a company will put zipper flaps on their blinds and you could get a royalty. Some folks have gotten rich from simple ideas. I have never been there but I bet rich ain't bad.
Old 11-29-2016, 10:17 AM
Fork Horn

Perhaps this is over obvious, but in general it's really easy to go 'under' a pop up blind to get in them. If the conditions were perfect to hunt that stand, I wouldn't let a stuck zipper stop me.
Old 11-29-2016, 11:10 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by handles II
Perhaps this is over obvious, but in general it's really easy to go 'under' a pop up blind to get in them. If the conditions were perfect to hunt that stand, I wouldn't let a stuck zipper stop me.
Getting into the stand as you mention would be doable if it isn't staked to the ground all the way around and the 4 corners tied down to insure it stays put in a wind like I always do! However, what good does it do to get in the blind by going in under it if all of the window zippers are frozen solid and you can't open them to see out? You sure don't want to leave them open when you leave at night.
Old 11-30-2016, 07:36 AM
Fork Horn

I don't believe the author of the thread was saying that all his window zippers were frozen (many models of blinds don't use zippers at all), it was the main zipper to get into the blind.

As for quietly removing a few stakes to be able to get under a corner of it, unless there is an issue of wind blowing very strongly from that direction during the hunt I wouldn't see it as a problem at all and would be my preference if hunting that blind location was going to be ideal for that day vs ending up moving to a completely different stand which may be less productive.
Old 11-30-2016, 08:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

The windows were frozen as well.
Old 11-30-2016, 09:44 AM
Fork Horn

Then yeah, that is a big problem and very unfortunate.

Perhaps a shield as one poster has done. Or try some of the other suggestions like wax. I guess this might be one of the reasons why many models don't use zipppers?

I'm thinking about ice fishing, and especially on windows zippers aren't used on most pop-up shanties...

Good luck!
Old 12-26-2017, 04:35 PM
Spike

Default Good winter weather blind

I live in Pa and Im looking for a really good blind that withstands winter weather. Im interested in Ameristep dominator blind and needs to be a hub design. Anyone have any feedback?
Old 12-28-2017, 05:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

I would not waste a dime on a Ameristep blind if it still has exposed zippers in the northern climate.

Also if we stake down our blinds in Michigan many times the ground freezes during fire arm season and you can't pull the stakes.

My favorite potabale is this one with PCV frame corse covered zipper for the entrance and roll up windows or tie them closed.

I have had as much as 20 inches of snow on it too.

I normaly don't tie the cover to the fram if set where the wind can hit it as it will shake the PCV joints apart.

Al
Old 12-28-2017, 05:30 AM
JW
Super Moderator

I wax my zippers.

On hub style popups I will use a monopod such as a triggerstick, placed on my chair to help hold the center hub up in snow.
They will collapse so be aware of that.
I also use a Mr Heater......and can sit in below zero temps rather nicely.

I bought my Double Bull 360s in 2003 and then another in 2004. Both are in fantastic shape.

JW
Old 01-09-2018, 07:20 AM
Fork Horn

I will not buy a blind with zip up windows or anything velcro anything any more. I know the thread is about a frozen entrance zipper as mentioned that can be an easy however minor detail. When all your window zippers are froze then you have trouble. The only zippr that should maybe be on a blind is the door the rest cause greif if you need another window and game is close. Double Bull probably makes the best blinds out there but they are more costly but worth the extra dollars in the end.