Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

The right knife

Old 10-24-2003, 12:48 PM

Default The right knife

I just graduated from college and got a decent job, so I can finally afford to go deer hunting. I' ve got most of my gear but I have no clue what type of knife I need to field dress, skin and butcher a whitetail deer. Please advise brand/model/blade etc.
Thanks
Kid
Old 10-24-2003, 01:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: The right knife

I use a gerbar gator with the ats-34 blade .It is reasonably priced at $65 here in canada and stays sharp much longer than any other knife that I have used.
Old 10-24-2003, 03:36 PM

I have several.. but my fav. is a Buck knife that has a drop point blade on one end and on the other is a bone saw/gut hook.. they have them on Cabelas... I dont know the exact name of the knife... but they have one that is beyond the Rockwell scale(much harder than steel and stays much sharper).. exact same knife just treated different and its like $79...
Old 10-24-2003, 04:57 PM

Buck 110. Around $40.00 and worth every red cent. Old time favorites are hard to beat.
Old 10-24-2003, 07:00 PM

Kid I used to carry several but lastyear I got a Browning " FDT" (Field Dressing Tool) for Christmas. I had always considered such multi-blades as too " gimicky" . It' s the knife I wish I would' ve gotten 20 years ago tho! It has 3 blades, 1 a guthook/straight razor type blade, another a drop point skinning/dressing knife (with another guthook on the tip) and a bonesaw blade makes up the 3rd one. Works like a charm!

Great quality as well!
RA
Old 10-24-2003, 07:53 PM
Dominant Buck

RA already has one of my dream knives , but a skinner with a gut hook will do for general use . It will get the hard part done .
Old 10-27-2003, 07:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

I' ve been thinking about buying a Buck Alpha Hunter. I' ve always loved buck knives.
Old 10-27-2003, 10:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

I also carry a Gerber Gator & Sagen Plevis Saw gets used for most of my field dressing work. I also carry a Kreshaw Blade trader for multi uses while on a week long trip or bigger game hunting. I process my own animals, as such I think it is essential to have a good boning knife to make this task quick and effortless.

It really depends on your uses and requirements. The gerber or other drop blades will allow you to FD and skin and animal. I prefer the Sagen Pelvis Saw to removing the anus by cutting while FD (they are cheap like 12 bucks), but choice is yours. If you want some versitality then the Kershaw Alaskan Blade Trader is worth a look.
Old 10-28-2003, 11:03 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 10-29-2003, 11:40 AM

I use a Swiss Army knife that has a lock blade and a gut blade. It works really good on dressing out a deer. I' ve been using the same knife for over 10 years and the blade still will hold an edge long enough to dress out several deer! Everyone' s first impression is to laugh at the knife, but by the time I get through skinning up, they all want to know where they can get one!!! It' s a great knife!
Here is a link to where you can get one, and I think they have free shipping!

http://store.yahoo.com/swissarmyexpr...saroldrab.html

Quick Reply: The right knife

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.