Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Hunting Gear Discussion
climbing treestand similar to the Warren & Sweat Cottonwood model >

climbing treestand similar to the Warren & Sweat Cottonwood model

Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

climbing treestand similar to the Warren & Sweat Cottonwood model

Old 10-13-2016, 05:57 AM
Spike

Default climbing treestand similar to the Warren & Sweat Cottonwood model

Are there any present day companies that make a two-part climbing treestand that has the same feature-set as the old Warren & Sweat Cottonwood model stand ?

Warren & Sweat made models other than the Cottonwood but I am wanting a stand that has the same features as the Cottonwood model.

Primarily I want a shooting rail of very similar layout as the Cottonwood and I want the stand to have the ability to be used either facing the tree or facing away from the tree.

The Cottonwood was a great stand but they are almost impossible to find anymore.

Thanks.
Old 10-14-2016, 05:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Gone with the wind. Er weight.

The Cottonwood passed its time in history. The problem is the cottonwood would only hold 250 lbs of weight plus accessory weight. Most modern tree stands now hold 300 and 350 lbs.

With its design the weight of the stand was around 21 lbs. With added holding weight, the treestand would be in the range of 30 lbs. , unfortunately too heavy for modern climbers.

Most modern climbers need the 300 or 350 weight limit. The modern design makes it unneccessary to make it merely for lighter hunters. It standardizes everything. It standardizes production.
Old 10-14-2016, 03:54 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Valentine
The Cottonwood passed its time in history. The problem is the cottonwood would only hold 250 lbs of weight plus accessory weight. Most modern tree stands now hold 300 and 350 lbs.

With its design the weight of the stand was around 21 lbs. With added holding weight, the treestand would be in the range of 30 lbs. , unfortunately too heavy for modern climbers.

Most modern climbers need the 300 or 350 weight limit. The modern design makes it unneccessary to make it merely for lighter hunters. It standardizes everything. It standardizes production.
Thanks for all the info, now do you have a suggested replacement for the Warren & Sweat Cottonwood that has the same feature set that it had, just perhaps more heavy duty ?
Old 10-17-2016, 03:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Hard to find something that doesn't exist

And just because it is posted on the internet, doesn't mean its still in business.

There's a couple of stands on the market, that face the tree, but they are heavier than the old Warren & Sweat,
Summit has one that holds some 350 lbs, is expensive and weighs some 26 lbs. That says it all.
Their's a gunslinger that has two facing the tree. One weighs 26; the other weighs over 30 lbs.

Not looking now. I have an old stand that faces the tree. And I'm keeping it. They don't make it anymore.

Last edited by Valentine; 10-17-2016 at 03:53 PM.
Old 10-18-2016, 02:09 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Valentine
And just because it is posted on the internet, doesn't mean its still in business.

There's a couple of stands on the market, that face the tree, but they are heavier than the old Warren & Sweat,
Summit has one that holds some 350 lbs, is expensive and weighs some 26 lbs. That says it all.
Their's a gunslinger that has two facing the tree. One weighs 26; the other weighs over 30 lbs.

Not looking now. I have an old stand that faces the tree. And I'm keeping it. They don't make it anymore.
In my original post, I clearly say that I want a stand that can be used BOTH ways, facing the tree and facing away from the tree.

I sure know that Warren & Sweat is no longer in business. If they were still in business and making a Cottonwood model or one similar to it, I would surely purchase and not be asking about something that was similar to it !!!

Most of the companies that are offering climbing treestands these days make stands that are NOT properly designed in that they have either no shooting rail or if they do it is so short and misplaced on the stand as to be more of a hindrance than a help.

Thanks.