HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Hunting Gear Discussion (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/hunting-gear-discussion-32/)
-   -   Rtic cooler review (as promised) 65qt in now (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/hunting-gear-discussion/408313-rtic-cooler-review-promised-65qt-now.html)

rockport 08-17-2016 08:01 AM

Rtic cooler review (as promised) 65qt in now

I ordered the 20 and 65 and just got the 20 yesterday.

It takes about 2 months to get one.

Looks pretty good, put some warm water bottles in the warm cooler yesterday with a typical bag of gas station ice. They say you want to precool them and all that but I want to know how it works without doing all that. I put it in about 5pm and here is what it looks like now (11AM)

Apparently there is something to the precooling as most of the melting happened in the first couple hours and it really hasn't changed much sense.

Just a quick start. I'll be dragging it around the farm all weekend and I'll have more after that.

Temp is mid 80s

olsaltydog 08-17-2016 08:02 AM

Sweet, let the testing begin.

rockport 08-17-2016 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by olsaltydog (Post 4269646)
Sweet, let the testing begin.

I was probably editing making sure the pictures were working as you were looking.

I have some techni ice coolers coming in tomorrow. I'll probably drag one of them along as well as I plan to keep what I like and sell the other.

That is the best part of the Rtic.....you have nothing to lose because with the 2 month waiting time they are worth more when you get them than they are when you order them. The 20qt is $125 from Rtic and I could sell it for $150 today.

rockport 08-17-2016 08:33 AM

I just got the email notification today that my 65qt has shipped.

olsaltydog 08-17-2016 08:41 AM

Yup, you must have been editing when I posted. Pre-cooling a cooler is ideal for letting the cooler perform the way it was designed. I will say that majority of the coolers on the market like igloos or colemans will cool faster due to the thinner insulation, causing less melting at first, but will be affected sooner then others by the lack of insulation. The thicker coolers like RTIC, yeti will take more time to cool the inside which will cause the ice to melt faster at first but once chilled properly, they will hold the ice inside longer because it takes a while for the outside to affect them.

We call those sacrificial bags.

rockport 08-17-2016 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by olsaltydog (Post 4269662)
Yup, you must have been editing when I posted. Pre-cooling a cooler is ideal for letting the cooler perform the way it was designed. I will say that majority of the coolers on the market like igloos or colemans will cool faster due to the thinner insulation, causing less melting at first, but will be affected sooner then others by the lack of insulation. The thicker coolers like RTIC, yeti will take more time to cool the inside which will cause the ice to melt faster at first but once chilled properly, they will hold the ice inside longer because it takes a while for the outside to affect them.

We call those sacrificial bags.

Yeah, when this ice melts I'm going to drop another bag in while its still cold and we will get to see the difference.

I think we will normally throw some frozen water bottles in the night before if it proves to be worth it.

rockport 08-17-2016 01:00 PM

Well the first bag only lasted about 23 hours. Really not bad for a single bag put in a warm cooler with warm beverages. I drained the water and refilled the cooler with ice before the last bit of ice was gone and everything was still cold. I can already tell it is doing much better.

rockport 08-18-2016 08:24 AM

I'd say the pre cooling made quite a difference

21 hours

Here is a couple more coolers I got in the mail today that I will be testing

olsaltydog 08-18-2016 08:32 AM

Looks much better

I am assuming most of hte coolers you are ordering either have a high demand so you could sell them quickly or do they have a return refund policy if not satisfied.

rockport 08-18-2016 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by olsaltydog (Post 4269796)
Looks much better

I am assuming most of hte coolers you are ordering either have a high demand so you could sell them quickly or do they have a return refund policy if not satisfied.

Yeah, the RTICs are in high demand and I'm getting the others cheap enough to make money after I pick the sizes I want to keep although more than likely I will sell them to friends and family for what I have in them.

The techni ice coolers I have $95 in the 37qt and $116 in the 74qt

My first impression is they will hold ice longer than the Rtic and the Yeti but I don't care for the latches.