Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Hunting Gear Discussion
Rtic cooler review (as promised) 65qt in now >

Rtic cooler review (as promised) 65qt in now

Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Rtic cooler review (as promised) 65qt in now

Old 12-14-2016, 11:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Another heads up Oldtimr walmart has the Coleman 120-Quart Xtreme 5 Marine Coolers on sale for $59 right now (steel hinges)

and apparently the rtics are not elf proof (it was dads turn to move the elf)

Last edited by rockport; 12-14-2016 at 12:05 PM.
Old 12-14-2016, 12:27 PM
Boone & Crockett

Thanks for the heads up Rockport. I have a 100 and a 150 qt Coleman extreme so I am pretty well set on coolers. The 100 qt has wheels on one end and a puller handle which makes it easy to get out of my truck bed. It won't move until I lift the end and engage the wheels on the floor. Actually I wished the 150 had two wheels when I had to get it from my family rook where I had help to remove it from the truck, to my basement, down five steps where my freezer is, when it had about 225 lbs of bison meat in it. Needless to say I slid it down the steps. I have had the Coleman 100 qt for about 7 years and the 150 for 3 years. If I put cold meat in a cold cooler with ice, I will have less than a cup of water when I get from SC to PA. I brought the Bison meat frozen and vacum packed from MO to PA and it was just as hard when I go home as when I left. I would love one of those expensive coolers but I can't justify it, to get one of them as big as I would like would cost as much or more than a hunting trip somewhere.

Last edited by Oldtimr; 12-14-2016 at 12:32 PM.
Old 12-14-2016, 12:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
Thanks for the heads up Rockport. I have a 100 and a 150 qt Coleman extreme so I am pretty well set on coolers. The 100 qt has wheels on one end and a puller handle which makes it easy to get out of my truck bed. It won't move until I lift the end and engage the wheels on the floor. Actually I wished the 150 had two wheels when I had to get it from my family rook where I had help to remove it from the truck, to my basement, down five steps where my freezer is, when it had about 225 lbs of bison meat in it. Needless to say I slid it down the steps. I have had the Coleman 100 qt for about 7 years and the 150 for 3 years. If I put cold meat in a cold cooler with ice, I will have less than a cup of water when I get from SC to PA. I brought the Bison meat frozen and vacum packed from MO to PA and it was just as hard when I go home as when I left. I would love one of those expensive coolers but I can't justify it, to get one of them as big as I would like would cost as much or more than a hunting trip somewhere.
Yeah, I don't blame ya.
Old 12-14-2016, 01:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Here's the feet...and also you can see how hard I use these coolers as Ive put plenty of wear on it in just a couple months.

This is not the original 65.....I sold it and bought the 45

Old 12-14-2016, 02:08 PM
Boone & Crockett

I am thinking you would have to know the thickness of the bottom before you run screws in it. I guess you could measure from the floor to the top of the sides on the outside and then from the inside bottom of the cooler to the top of the sides and then use a screw about an eighth shorter than your measurement.
Old 12-14-2016, 02:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by rockport
I just got the email notification today that my 65qt has shipped.
i need new coolers but man the price of a good cooler is crazy. the thing i worry bout the most is them getting stolen !
Old 12-14-2016, 03:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

I am thinking you would have to know the thickness of the bottom before you run screws in it. I guess you could measure from the floor to the top of the sides on the outside and then from the inside bottom of the cooler to the top of the sides and then use a screw about an eighth shorter than your measurement.
The screws would not go inside the cooler. They go in the space between the inner and outer walls. Those are the sliding feet. The rubber feet just pop in instead of requiring screws.

Last edited by rockport; 12-14-2016 at 03:16 PM.
Old 12-14-2016, 03:24 PM
Boone & Crockett

That is what I was trying to say, you would have to measure the thickness of the bottom and then make sure the screws would not go through the inside bottom. I think I will stay with what I am using now, it may require a little muscle to slide my coolers in and out of my truck bed but it isn't that much of a problem.
Old 12-14-2016, 03:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

That is what I was trying to say, you would have to measure the thickness of the bottom and then make sure the screws would not go through the inside bottom. I think I will stay with what I am using now, it may require a little muscle to slide my coolers in and out of my truck bed but it isn't that much of a problem.
What I'm saying is the screws go inside the wall. There is no inside bottom where the screws go because the walls are so thick.

I think with a regular Coleman cooler the best bet would just be laying down some plywood on top of the rubber mat before the coolers go in when you are going to put hundreds of pounds in them.
Old 12-14-2016, 04:07 PM
Boone & Crockett

OK, I get it now.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.