HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Hunting Gear Discussion (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/hunting-gear-discussion-32/)
-   -   Deer Camp ideas, tips, projects, etc (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/hunting-gear-discussion/407748-deer-camp-ideas-tips-projects-etc.html)

Hunter616 07-20-2016 11:47 PM

Deer Camp ideas, tips, projects, etc

I was wondering what ideas other hunters have used or have built or whatever, that they used at their camps. I've seen many a different style buck poles, cleaning stations, outhouses, power generation ideas, etc.
I'm just wondering what you may have at your camp that I or others might utilize to improve our places.
Just today, I cut a 55 gal plastic food grade barrel in half, length-wise and plan on using it for a man-made watering hole for wildlife.
I've also used 5 gallon pails with drippers and landscaping cloth as lids to keep my chestnut trees and apple plantings watered.
Let me know what you've done at your camps... I'm always open to new ideas and I'm sure others are too. thanks.

Hunter616 in Ottawa County, Michigan

WTFOutdoors 07-21-2016 06:43 AM

I had four building given to me from the railroad that they were going to tear down at my work. They are old control building so they are built to hold up they are all cement I turned one into a walk in freezer I got a refer unit off of a ice truck to cool it with I have one as storage shed that I keep my atv and other hunting stuff in. I have one set up as a cabin I had a construction company cut three holes for Windows in it and I had the local remc company hook power up to it and that's also how I power the refer unit. And the fourth one I haven't done anything with yet. I took fallen trees and made a fence around my deer camp and I took two trees that was close together about 10-15 foot apart and put another tree in them and connected it to them so I have a spot to hang deer and field dress them before they go in the cooler. I took the cages that 275 gallon mini bulks come in and put them together on top of each other like two high and made some deer blinds out of them you can put a stool in the middle and turn around inside of them.

Hunter616 07-21-2016 06:21 PM

How in the world did you move "cement" buildings? They had to be heavy. I lucked out to somewhat... I posted a need for a free shed on craigslist. Low and behold, a guy had one that he used as a playhouse for his grandkids.. they outgrew it and he gave it away... all I had to do was lay it down and slide it up on a low-boy trailer and set it up again at camp... it currently is used for storage and my well pump is in there so I insulated it once I got it up there. I also found someone giving away their huge swingset that was 4X6's and treated. It was super high too... so that made a great buck pole. I used some of the "swing" hardware to... I then mounted a cable hand winch to the upright post and run tje cable up to pulleys on the cross-member. It works great, just winch the carcus up and put the gambrel on a hook and it's up and done. And women think they know how to re-purpose.... :)

WTFOutdoors 07-22-2016 04:14 AM

All I had to do was provide a trailer to haul them on and the railroad provided a crane to load and unload them with. My work had a lowboy trailer sitting at a plant about 30 mins away so I took a semi down hooked on to it then they loaded it up and followed me to the woods where we unloaded them one by one and used logs and a roller system to move them from the road to where I planed in having camp built at. It's about 25-50 foot from the road so it wasn't that bad we used my JD 4020 to pull them with. It turned out fairly nice and I had some great free help. When I go out there this weekend to check cams and feeders I'll get some pictures of my deer camp and post here for you to see