Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Hunting Gear Discussion
Scope recommendations for a Ruger 10/22 rifle >

Scope recommendations for a Ruger 10/22 rifle

Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Scope recommendations for a Ruger 10/22 rifle

Old 06-30-2016, 05:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Scope recommendations for a Ruger 10/22 rifle

I'm looking for scope recommendations for my Ruger 10/22 rifle and my budget is around $130.00.

I'm not looking at hitting targets over 300 yards necessarily. Just looking to shoot at objects mostly within a hundred yards or less.

Thanks in advance.
Old 06-30-2016, 06:32 AM
Boone & Crockett

"I'm not looking at hitting targets over 300 yards necessarily". Good thing because a .22 rim fire wasn't meant as a 300 yard gun.
Old 06-30-2016, 09:16 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
"I'm not looking at hitting targets over 300 yards necessarily". Good thing because a .22 rim fire wasn't meant as a 300 yard gun.
It's not even meant for 100 yards, LOL! Any scope within your price range from a reputable company (Leupold, Nikon, Bushnell, etc.) should suffice for a .22 rifle.
Old 06-30-2016, 12:21 PM
Super Moderator

Your budget ($130) will likely get you some decent target/plinking scopes that will work well for targets under 100 yards.

Now if you're thinking about potentially using it for shooting sage rats/Pdogs, there are some really cool .22 scopes that have built in ranging so you can quickly hit a target using .22 LR ballistics out to well past 100 yards. You're still limited with the terminal ballistics (i.e. it won't kill more effectively) but it sure does make for one heck of a short range ground squirrel rifle when defending yourself against the hords.
Old 06-30-2016, 12:56 PM
Giant Nontypical

I can't wait for a member to get on this thread and tell how he killed a pdog at 300 yards by holding 10' high and 3' into the wind and down went that furry little sucker (probably into it's hole) with his trusty little 22, LOL!

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 06-30-2016 at 12:58 PM. Reason: add on
Old 06-30-2016, 01:16 PM
Super Moderator

I've only read about some of the scopes and the distances were something like 90-150 or so yards. I don't own one but would be curious to try one with the Beldings ground squirrels we have out here. I would expect 300 yards and even 200 yards to be centerfire caliber distances.
Old 06-30-2016, 02:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by CalHunter
I've only read about some of the scopes and the distances were something like 90-150 or so yards. I don't own one but would be curious to try one with the Beldings ground squirrels we have out here. I would expect 300 yards and even 200 yards to be centerfire caliber distances.
It would have to be a pretty tiny squirrel before I would want to try and humanely take it with a 22 at 100 yards or more. I don't even use my 22 magnum at 100 yards on pdogs, but rather use my 22 Hornet and when they get out around 200 yards or better I go up to my .243 Sako with 58 grain Hornady VMaxs.
Old 06-30-2016, 07:38 PM
Super Moderator

The OP said he was mainly looking at shooting at "targets" less than a 100 yards. I opined that he could hit a target "well past" 100 yards with a ranging reticle type .22 LR scope. I don't believe either of us suggested somebody should shoot a 22 LR at 300 yards. But that's a chance you take when you post in many of these forums--people take just a snippet of what you said and turn it into something you didn't intend.

So I guess I should have been far more explicit and descriptive. Here goes. When I wrote the offending post above, I should have just used the species descriptor "Beldings Ground Squirrels" which are a fairly tiny ground squirrel in CA. They are vermin, can carry the plague, disrupt farmers' alfalfa fields (a few litters can eat as much as a grown cow) and their burrows create havoc for farming equipment, livestock and other problems. In short, nobody is trying to eat them or save them. I would still like to kill them humanely but they are a pest, not some kind of game animal.

They are a tiny critter that are less than a foot long and average just over a 1/2 pound in weight. Many people shoot them with 22 rimfires, .17 caliber rimfires (principally the .17 HMR and sometimes 17-22 caliber centerfire rifles. TNT or some type of ballistic tip round is recommended as it reduces the possibility of ricochets and makes for more explosive kills.

Some of the guys who regularly hunt these critters (usually in Northeast CA) have used or recommend a 22 with a scope for shorter range shots (like under 150 yards). Here's a link to some BDC type 22 rimfire scopes made by Nikon. One is in the OP's price range and several are just over it but not by much.

http://www.nikonsportoptics.com/en/n...ire/index.page

I don't know if you've heard of John Pride or Mickey Fowler (they've won the Bianchi Cup a few times) but they have some really interesting scopes, both centerfire and rimfire. Their scopes have a ranging reticle called a "Rapid Reticle" that I have been drooling over for quite a while and would love to mount one of them on my Ruger 10-22. The scope costs way more than I paid for the gun back in the 70's but it looks like way too much fun. Their reticle is ranged to 220 yards but like I said in my original post, "You're still limited with the terminal ballistics."

https://rapidreticle.com/rre-22lr/

Since that statement is confusing, allow me to further illustrate. These types of scopes enable you to set your rifle and scope up to reasonably hit a target at these ranges even though your trajectory is basically "lobbing" the .22 rimfire bullet at the targets. Being limited to "terminal ballistics" means that just because you can hit a critter at an extended range doesn't mean you can humanely kill said critter at that extended range. Personally, I'm thinking one might kill a Beldings Ground Squirrel at 125 to maybe 150 yards but these squirrels are less than a foot long and average a little over a half pound of body weight. Who knows, maybe your ammo isn't going to do much past 25 yards. One never knows until you try.

But then I digress. Next time, I'll just PM the OP with this kind of info and then publicly post for him to use a deer rifle only and leave his 22 for tin cans at the 25-yard line or closer so he doesn't have to worry about the wind. Come to think of it, when I finally do get around to picking up one of those Rapid Reticle .22 LR scopes, I probably won't bother posting anything about it either. If anybody happens to pick up one of these Rapid Reticle scopes and test it on squirrels, please PM me so we can avoid what we meant when we posted instead of what they thought we must be thinking even though it wasn't posted that way or whatever else comes to somebody's mind.

Going back to the OP, check out those Nikon scopes. It's a good brand with some nice scopes that are in your price range.

Last edited by CalHunter; 06-30-2016 at 07:40 PM.
Old 06-30-2016, 08:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

Goodness Cal, you took my posts for a lot more than what I had posted them for and got your panties in a real twist! The guy did say not necessarily at 300 yards with a 22 and that's why Oldtimr and I jokingly said what we did. My 10' and 3' post was supposed to be a funny with no intent to tick anyone off, but it sure must have. Sorry about that. I also made that statement about humanely killing your squirrels at a distance because in a thread like this I always like to point out to our younger members who are just getting started that all critters need to be taken humanely no matter what they are or whether they are big game or vermin. That's what I was taught from when I started at the age of 5 and I certainly won't apologize for taking that stance regarding any critter. I see people post about taking shots at running coyotes at long distances with statements insinuating that they could care less if they wound it as it's "just a coyote" and that upsets me to no end! PS: I think you need a date night, LOL!

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 06-30-2016 at 08:08 PM. Reason: add on
Old 06-30-2016, 08:42 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have a buddy of mine that put a redfield 3X-9X on his and he loves it.

He calls it his 200 yard gun - LOL !!!

.....................Of course, he is being funny ??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.