Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

crossbow broadheads

Old 02-02-2016, 04:29 AM
Spike

Default crossbow broadheads

Looking for some input for best broadheads to use on my 20" barnett carbon bolts. I'm shooting with both an SAS Crusader 547 recurve and a Barnett Raptor FX compound crossbow. I would like some input. Most say to use 100 grain broadheads, but I'm hearing different from others saying 125 grain for better stability and downrange accuracy. I"d like to know if both my Montec G5 125 and NAP Spitfire 125 mechanicals will be most suited. Ireally don't want to buy more broadheads if I don't have to. Thanks.

Last edited by ncianci7; 02-03-2016 at 01:02 PM. Reason: miss spelling
Old 02-02-2016, 03:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

My cross bow is a Parker Tornado .... several years old now. Bolts are 20" Red Hots. I have used fix blade Montec 3-Blade (125 gr.) broad-head for several years now. These have worked great. Excellent flight and superb penetration. I am sure there are other broad-heads that work just as well as the Montec. I prefer it because it is simple, can be sharpened in the field and so far has done a great job on what I hunt .... white tail deer and feral hogs. .
Old 02-03-2016, 04:12 AM
Super Moderator

I loved the grim reaper heads (100g) when I had my Barnett. Unfortunately it was like pulling teeth to get replacement blades where I live. Now that I am shooting a Excalibur Matrix I am using the Rage 125g. The only problem with them is after I kill a deer 90% of the time the head is trashed. With the faster speeds I like the expandable heads and if I could find the blades I'd go back to the reapers in (125g) but that is what my bolts call for. Check out www.wyverncreations.com . They can be a big help