Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Best Ammo for Deer.

Old 08-28-2015, 11:53 AM
Spike

Default Best Ammo for Deer.

Hello I'm basically just looking for opinions on a round that will shoot 1.5 min of angle or better at 100 yards in my Savage Axis 270 but also dump their energy well on target and provide good killing power. I hunt in Buffalo Co WI so my shots can be varied from 20-500 yards at some times. These are the bullets Im thinking of load testing
core lockt 130 Grn
Hornady 130 grn gmx
130grn Sierra GKBT
Ballistic Silvertip 130 grn
Accubond 130grn
Vortx 130 grn
Hunting VLD 130 grn.
I've been running core lockts in my gun because they're cheap, but I'm looking for a better bullet. Any other recommendations would be great thanks
Old 08-30-2015, 08:02 PM
Spike

I can give you some information based on my experience, testing, and that of a few close friends who shoot .270 Win regularly.

Core Lockt 130 grain: Very good CXP2 medium range bullet that retains weight well, and expands reliably at impact velocities above about 2200 fps. For that reason, it does its best work out to around 250 yards. If you go further out with it, you will start to get narrow wound channels when bone isn’t encountered shortly after entry, which can of course mean wounded game that will take some time to expire.

Hornady 130 grain GMX: I have not used this yet, but a guide friend has been using it, so this is largely based on that. It is an all copper bullet that is commensurately stout. Weight retention is excellent, but it does take some resistance to get maximum expansion. It will work well at short ranges, where its stout construction allows it to expand at high impact velocities without breaking up. It also does well on larger bodied game at longer ranges beyond 300 yards, where the larger bodies help provide the resistance it needs to expand well and create wide wound channels. Hornady offers a super performance load at 3190 fps, so that is a good factory option.

Sierra GameKing 130 grain: Very good bullet with a simple cup and core design. It produces excellent wound channels and expands reliably across a broad range of impact velocities, and from light animals up through larger CXP2 animals.

Winchester Ballistic Silvertip 130 grain: One of my favorite for .270 and 25-06 (115 grain). It is very similar to the above. You should be able to get hydrostatic shock on animals at impact speeds above about 2500 fps.

Accubond 140 grain: I have not used the 130 grain, so commenting on this one instead. This is a very good bullet that expands well, retains weight well, and does it across a broad range of impact velocities. Loaded to something like 3050 fps, it will be a great bullet for use up to Elk, and out to ranges beyond 400 yards for deer.

I am assuming you mean the Barnes TTSX 130 grain? If so, then like the GMX this is a bullet that does well at higher impact velocities or on larger animals. At longer ranges on smaller animals, you need to hit bone to ensure proper expansion.

I have not used the VLD, but maybe I will try it this year. You should also consider the Nosler partitions, like the Accubonds, they are great across a range of games and animal sizes.

Good luck.
Old 08-30-2015, 08:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

core lockt 130 Grn
Hornady 130 grn gmx
130grn Sierra GKBT
Ballistic Silvertip 130 grn
Accubond 130grn
Vortx 130 grn
Hunting VLD 130 grn.

They all sound good.

You let us know which group best ~~~ !!!

Won't matter much to the dead deer ............................
Old 08-30-2015, 10:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've found that the Interbond from hornady has a much broader expansion range than the GMX. The GMX as noted earlier, performs well at higher velocities but not that great at the slower velocities of longer range. The interbond holds together very well at close range high velocity shots with reliable expansion at long range slower velocity. I use this bullet in my 6.8 SPC (it's a fraction long but I use it anyway and seat a fraction deeper) for hogs with great terminal performance. I know a lot of guys that use the same bullet in their .270's with excellent results on whitetails and hogs.
Old 08-31-2015, 03:16 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by super_hunt54
I've found that the Interbond from hornady has a much broader expansion range than the GMX. The GMX as noted earlier, performs well at higher velocities but not that great at the slower velocities of longer range. The interbond holds together very well at close range high velocity shots with reliable expansion at long range slower velocity. I use this bullet in my 6.8 SPC (it's a fraction long but I use it anyway and seat a fraction deeper) for hogs with great terminal performance. I know a lot of guys that use the same bullet in their .270's with excellent results on whitetails and hogs.
Exactly right in my experience. In fact, I should have mentioned the Interbond, as it is the bullet I currently use in my newest .270. The 130 grain offering is versatile enough to go up to Elk, and can be relied on to penetrate deeply despite its relatively low weight. It is also offered as a super performance factory load at a blistering 3200 fps, and if your gun likes it, will be one of the best out there.
Old 09-17-2015, 04:36 AM
Fork Horn

I agree with Sheridan, find the one that groups best for your rifle and shot placement will take it from there, they all provide the possibility for terminating game.
Old 09-17-2015, 11:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

"...but also dump their energy well on target and provide good killing power."

Hornady SST.

Not sure how they perform at 500yds. 2 Deer, 2 feral goats at 80, 110, 180 and 275yds with a .270 shooting 130gr SST. DRD
Old 09-17-2015, 12:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

JoeA, I personally had some blow up problems with the SST out of my 7mm/08 on close range shots. They were the 139 grain I believe. Have to look it up in my load data. BUT I am going to give them another try out of my new .338fed since the 200gr are incredibly accurate and have a good BC of 0.450 for my downrange shots (between 200-400) on hogs.
Old 09-17-2015, 12:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by super_hunt54
JoeA, I personally had some blow up problems with the SST out of my 7mm/08 on close range shots. They were the 139 grain I believe. Have to look it up in my load data. BUT I am going to give them another try out of my new .338fed since the 200gr are incredibly accurate and have a good BC of 0.450 for my downrange shots (between 200-400) on hogs.
I too am not fond of SST in 7mm-08 because of their expansion. They have a high B.C. but I believe the Interbonds have the same high B.C. They might be awesome in other calibers for all I know.
Old 09-17-2015, 01:39 PM
Typical Buck

My cousin uses the hornadys factory 139 Sst in his 7mm/08 and has piped up the deer and atlest one bear with them.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.