Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Cots for elk camp

Old 08-12-2015, 09:53 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default Cots for elk camp

I just ordered a Cabela's Alaskan Guide cot (32" x 82" sleeping surface). Has anyone used this cot? I've got another cot of Cabela's that I have used several times and like very well -- it may be the extra wide version with the 42" width. I also ordered the 28" x 77" sleeping pad. The pad is a bit smaller than the cot, but it ought to still serve its purpose -- reduce heat loss where the camper's body weight compresses the sleeping bag insulation and also to provide cushioning comfort.

Any comments from anyone who has used these?
Old 08-12-2015, 11:03 AM
Giant Nontypical

I do not own one of their cots, however their "Alaskan" gear is Cabela's best !

Cabela's contract with high-end brands they believe in and simply re brand them as "Alaskan" and then adds their logo.

Cabela's "Alaskan" is some of the best gear I own !!!
Old 08-12-2015, 11:57 AM
Giant Nontypical

My buddy out in Wyoming uses that cot when we hunt out of his cargo trailer that he made into an insulated camping unit. He likes it and he's a pretty good size guy! He doesn't use a pad since we sleep in a cargo trailer where we have heat. When we use my bigger travel trailer we both sleep in regular beds.
Old 08-12-2015, 07:45 PM
Super Moderator

Hey TG, not to hijack this thread, but got any pictures of the interior of that cargo trailer? I've been kicking that idea around in my head for a while.
-Jake
Old 08-12-2015, 08:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

Sorry Jake, but I sure don't. It's really nothing fancy like a lot of the people make them into. John just took the wall coverings off and put insulation in and then put the wood back on. He bought some matching wood and insulated the top and covered it. It already had a small, screened dome in the roof that opens like travel trailers, so that is nice for natural light. He also put some 12 volt lights in the ceiling and at a couple spots on the walls and fixed them so they run off of a battery or the truck if the main electrical line is plugged in. John just put up wood near the top on both sides with hangers to hang clothes, backpacks, and stuff and anchored a sturdy 4 shelf metal unit on one front wall and the spare tire on the other side. He has his cot to sleep on and I have a collapsible metal one that I put a blow up mattress on. We're going to get rid of that metal part and before we use it in late September he's going to make a swing down bunk on one wall high enough so that I can sleep up there and he can sleep on his cot under it. His cot sits high enough that he can put several storage bins for food and clothes under it and now we'll have the whole back and one side for storage, etc. It has a one piece ramp in the back so he can use it for a lot of other stuff besides taking it hunting too.

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 08-12-2015 at 08:13 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 08-13-2015, 03:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Due to my back I use this cot and it has been great on my last few trips, even had my 2 year old sleep in it next to me camping this past season. A little big and heavy but good thing my truck does the hauling for me.

Cabelas Lounger
Old 08-13-2015, 08:56 AM
Giant Nontypical

The cot will get you off the ground, the pad will make it comfortable !!!

If weight and pack-able is a concern you might want to look at these.

http://www.lintonoutdoors.com/sleeping-pads/
Old 08-13-2015, 09:35 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Sheridan

If weight and pack-able is a concern you might want to look at these.

http://www.lintonoutdoors.com/sleeping-pads/
We camp in a 12' x 14' canvas wall tent with 5' side walls heated by a wood burning stove. We park our trucks about 40 feet from the tent. Thus, weight and pack-able are not concerns. The only packing we have to do is packing elk meat out from the kill site to the camp!
Old 08-13-2015, 10:55 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Alsatian
We camp in a 12' x 14' canvas wall tent with 5' side walls heated by a wood burning stove. We park our trucks about 40 feet from the tent. Thus, weight and pack-able are not concerns. The only packing we have to do is packing elk meat out from the kill site to the camp!
Then bring a blow-up air mattress for that cot !
Old 08-25-2015, 08:05 AM
Spike

I have the 42" my son calls the California King. I just us the Walmart form mattress pad. Cheap and sometimes works to pack around breakables.