Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Hunting Gear Discussion
Best rifle and caliber for 16 yr. old big game hunter >

Best rifle and caliber for 16 yr. old big game hunter

Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Best rifle and caliber for 16 yr. old big game hunter

Old 05-08-2015, 08:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Another $.02.

I have very little experience hunting "big" critters. Just one elk in the bag. No bear hunting. No moose hunting. But I have hunted white tail, mule deer and feral hogs a bunch .... for 50+ years now. As many others have already stated, the fit and feel of the rifle are big drivers in what I suggest that you select. There are so many good factory grade rifles out there right now that you could hardly go wrong. My advise is try out as many as you can. My personal favorite is the Styer Pro Hunter.

As for scope ... buy the highest quality scope that you can afford. You will never regret having done so.

As for caliber .... 30 caliber is my choice. The 30.06 Spr. is certainly one of the best choices for an all around hunting cartridge out there. My personal preference is the 308 Win.

There is nothing wrong with being "limited' to factory loads. I would imagine that there are over 100 choices in 30.06 Spr. factory ammo available. The key is finding that one that groups best out of your rifle. If you decide on the 30.06 Spr., try a few factory choices that are loaded with a 180 gr. bullet. My experience is that most I have sighted in liked one or more factory load that incorporated a 180 gr. spitzer type bullet.
Old 05-08-2015, 08:18 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Mojotex
Another $.02.

My personal preference is the 308 Win.

I do have the hunting experience and was in that same situation some years ago - bought my son a 308. He's grown now and buys his own rifles, but that 308 is still one of his favorites!

308 is my recommendation, too.
Old 05-08-2015, 09:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by backcountryboy
My dad has the equipment to reload rifle ammo and I am reasonably sure that I will get into reloading as I get into big game hunting for myself. However, my dad dosen't have his reloading equipment set up so we be using factory ammo at least at first.
Using factory rounds it makes good sense to hunt with a common non-magnum cartridge like the good old .30-06. It simply works. You can find many different loads from many different manufacturers including reduced recoil ammo.

As to the rifle/scope combo that is a bit more complicated. I would take a Howa 1500 before I would take the "budget" rifle from any manufacturer. There are several budget rifles on the market from most of the major manufacturers and I hear that they all work just fine, but they would not be my first choice. The 1500 is not a high dollar rifle but does have a good time-tested action.

Rifle/scope packages would not be my choice. You can find a good rifle, good rings & bases, and a usable scope for not much more than most packages. Often the scopes and rings on the packages leave something to be desired.
Old 05-08-2015, 10:05 AM
Fork Horn

I believe a .270 Winchester loaded with 150 grain bullets should about cover everything you have on your list of animals. A little less kick than a 30.06 and ammo is easy to find or hand load.
Old 05-08-2015, 03:35 PM
Giant Nontypical

I've always found this to be fairly accurate;

http://elkhunter2.tripod.com/rifle.html
Old 05-08-2015, 06:47 PM
Fork Horn

backcountryboy,

...Deleted by CalHunter...

Look at the Ruger and Savage products. For starting out I like the 243 as it's a superb all year around cartridge for varmints and then big game. The ammo is also easy to get and the recoil is not a problem.

I started handloading when I was 13 years old! So set up the gear you have there yourself with permission.

Last edited by CalHunter; 05-09-2015 at 09:40 PM. Reason: Rules 1 & 4--Warning.
Old 05-09-2015, 03:50 AM
Boone & Crockett

The boy ask a question that has nothing to do with you or your predudices, we all have some, but your answer was more about you rather than helping him and you really should edit all but the end out of the post.
Old 05-09-2015, 10:05 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
The boy ask a question that has nothing to do with you or your prejudices, we all have some, but your answer was more about you rather than helping him and you really should edit all but the end out of the post.
I don't know what was edited out of his post after you made yours, but that first sentence that is still there is about the most prejudiced and dumbest reason for not buying a particular product I've ever read!
Old 05-09-2015, 11:05 AM
Fork Horn

...Deleted by CalHunter...

Last edited by CalHunter; 05-09-2015 at 09:41 PM. Reason: Rules 1, 4 & 13--3-Day Temp Ban
Old 05-09-2015, 11:13 AM
Boone & Crockett

There is something seriously wrong with you! My dad spent the entire war in the Pacific fighting Japanese, I won't go into what he went through and saw, be he certainly would have had more class than to answer a young boys request for suggestions with the ignorant statements you posted on this thread and both your posts should be deleted. In fact I kew a lot of veterans of the war in the Pacific and none of them would have ever spoken to a child like you just did. Pretty bold talk for someone who wasn't in the War, an after the fact tough guy! OP, ignore this guy!

Last edited by Oldtimr; 05-09-2015 at 11:21 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.