HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Hunting Gear Discussion (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/hunting-gear-discussion-32/)
-   -   Emergency Fire Starter - Flint and Steel Kit (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/hunting-gear-discussion/396123-emergency-fire-starter-flint-steel-kit.html)

burtonridr 12-03-2014 02:17 PM

Emergency Fire Starter - Flint and Steel Kit

Hey Everyone, I'm considering putting a product together and would love some feed back. I want to put together an emergency fire starting kit which would include flint, steel, jute, char cloth, etc. I cant decide between a nice leather pouch or metal tin for storing the kit. If I go with the leather pouch, I will probable include a small metal tin to store the char cloth, and also for use to make more char material.

Any preference? Which one would you prefer?

burtonridr 12-03-2014 02:19 PM

Crap I just noticed that was my first ever on here... How rude of me.:s6:

I could have swore this was the forum with the shed hunting contest each year.

Oldtimr 12-03-2014 02:58 PM

There are so many other things better than flint and steel if you are in a situation where you really need a fire that I would not even consider a flint and steel kit.
If I really need a fire I will use a 9 volt battery and steel wool rather than play around with flint and steel. If you want to impress at a rendezvous, that is one thing, if it is life and death, it is something else. Actually, a butane lighter is your best bet if it is life and death.

Wingbone 12-03-2014 03:22 PM

I made such a kit years ago. Steel striker, a couple of good flints and a supply of char cloth. It fits inside an Altoids tin, which in turn, fits in a leather pouch that attaches to my belt or I keep in in my pack. A piece of buckskin separates the tools form the cloth. It's possible to use the Altoids tin to create more char if necessary. I've used the Altoids tin to make char made from punky wood and tinder fungus which works as well as cloth. I find the system more dependable than a butane lighter which won't light worth a hoot in cold weather or at high altitude.

Valentine 12-03-2014 04:04 PM

Harbor Freight

invented a cheap fire starter.

Hartski 12-04-2014 03:14 AM

There are so many inexpensive firestarters out there, it's crazy. I have a magnesium block with flint and steel striker. it was maybe $5.

Major Woods 12-04-2014 03:19 AM

Originally Posted by Hartski (Post 4173352)
There are so many inexpensive firestarters out there, it's crazy. I have a magnesium block with flint and steel striker. it was maybe $5.

I have the same. Used it once in a bad situation and it work better than expected.

Wingbone 12-04-2014 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by Hartski (Post 4173352)

I'll admit that I don't carry the kit much any more. A couple of years ago I got several ferrocerium rod fire steels and keep them in my various hunting packs for emergency and regular use. I find them as effective as the flint & steel and I don't have to have char.

Nomercy448 12-04-2014 10:50 AM

I've by and large given up on carrying anything that can get wet and not function. I carry a manmade flint rod embedded in a hunk of magnesium and a steel. Then I'll worry about finding something local to burn. The Mg can get even damp stuff to catch up, a heck of a lot better than flint & steel by itself. I never expect to have to use one, but I start campfires with them each year to stay 'practiced' on doing it, in case I ever need them in an emergency. I have the same cheap - I believe Coleman? - starters in my hunting packs, on my saddle billets, in the storage on my motorcycles, tackle boxes, glove boxes. Never really realized how many I had until now. :eek2:

Sheridan 12-04-2014 05:43 PM

What a lot of people call a "day pack" when hunting, I call a "all night pack" (basically my "go bag").

I have probably four (4) different levels of fire building.

It's important.