Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

deer cart tire smell

Old 11-11-2014, 06:57 AM
Fork Horn

Default deer cart tire smell

I bought an ameristep deer cart last year, the rubber tires really stink. I have left it outside for weeks, still has a strong rubber odor.

I have been leaving it in the truck and hiking back for it when I need it. I would like to carry it with me so I don't have to make a trip back to get it, but afraid the smell will drive the deer away.

Has anyone had this problem and found a way to reduce the smell of the tires?
Old 11-11-2014, 01:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Same problem here. I was told to leave mine outside as well but after letting the wheels set on my covered porch for almost six months, they still stink. Waiting to see what others say about the smell.
Old 11-12-2014, 04:30 AM
Fork Horn

I washed the tires with simple green then used a baking soda-water mix and let it sit for a couple days.
It did help quite a bit but not 100% odor free.
Old 11-12-2014, 06:37 AM
Super Moderator

I am not sure it will work, spray them down with bleach, water mix.
Bleach water will take away smells.

Just an idea.
Old 11-12-2014, 09:51 AM
Fork Horn

How does the cart perform using it up step hills and ravines??
Old 11-13-2014, 03:57 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by theshark
Better than dragging the deer on the ground, but it's still up hill which sucks.
Old 11-22-2014, 04:53 PM
Fork Horn

mine stunk as well , but it stays in the truck till I need it.. after a few trips through the woods smell is gone..
Old 11-22-2014, 06:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Head outside with a heat gun or hair dryer, stand upwind, and heat the tires. Knocks off that smell real quick. Leaving them out in the sun on a black flatbed for a couple days will do the same.

The only thing I hate about the Ameri-step is that the long handle is about a foot too short. The Cabelas model, about 50% more expensive, has the extra length that make it a lot easier on the back to pull.
Old 11-22-2014, 07:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by theshark
My wife and I use ours to portage in our stands and feeders, we have some terrain that's certainly not what I'd call friendly, plus under-brush and areas with a LOT of dead-fall to navigate.

If you can walk it, it can roll it. The only time you'll get into trouble is in snow cover or thin mud where the wheels will sink. I bought a double wheel kit for mud, which seems to work quite well, and I rigged a set of ski's from a wrecked snow machine for the snow, also works quite well the few times I've used it with snow-shoes (obviously not in KS).