Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Hunting Gear Discussion
Climbing Stands for Those Afraid of Heights >

Climbing Stands for Those Afraid of Heights

Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Climbing Stands for Those Afraid of Heights

Old 11-22-2014, 10:22 AM
Spike

Default Climbing Stands for Those Afraid of Heights

I'm not too great with heights. I can do ladder stands if I don't look straight down too much, but hang ons kill me with those strap on ladder steps -- they're too close to the tree, and I feel like I'm going to fall backwards. Anyone out there with the same issues use climbers? How do they compare?
Old 11-22-2014, 11:32 AM
Boone & Crockett

I am not inclined to use hang on stands and I am not crazy about ladder stands although I have hunted from them, if they are a double with a big foot area they aren't bad. I build permanent wooden tree stands about 12 feet or so up. I know you can't move them around but if scout around you pick a good spot near a funnel they can be very effective. I build one big enough for two so my grandson can hunt with me. I put handrails all around for safety and use camo material all the way around. I just had to build a new one because the spot I was hunting on, a small 10 acre plot on a 120 acrea piece of land for the last 10 years was sold and the new owner did not allow anyone to hunt his land because of hs steers. I killed at least one deer out of the stand every year and some times two, one for me and one for the landowner. I scouted several areas for a couple of weks and found another spot on the opposite side of the property overlooking a wooded ravine w/ a stream, woods and a field. There are 5 different deer trails, heavily used within 25 to 40 yards of my new stand. I had my grandson out for PA's youth doe season and we saw many deer and he missed one. I am anxious to be in it during our regular deer season. Here is a couple of pics one from each side. Staying in one spot has worked very well for me for a lot of years. I do not aspire to kill a huge rack deer, I hunt for large bodied deer of either sex for food and fun. The leaves you see are oak but the stand is conected to 3 hickoty trees.

Old 11-22-2014, 02:07 PM
Spike

I like that. I like that a whole lot, actually.

The best ladder stand I ever hunted was on my wife's extended family's land. It was a very nice steel stand about 12' tall. Seems like it was about 3'x3' with a double rail all the way around. The bottom rail held a 2x12 for a seat and the top rail was just the right height for a shooting rail.
Old 11-23-2014, 07:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have used a climber type stand since the ""Baker" stand days. The ones out there now are a quantum leap from that design to say the least !

Take a look at Summit and Ol' Man products. Both of these manufacturer's make stout, simple , comfortable and easy to use climbers. Takes a bit of getting used to if you have never tried one. The advantage is how easy is it to relocate. The main disadvantages are additional packing weight of 15 +/- pounds , it is impossible to get into place without making sme noise no matter how you try and sometimes not being able to find a tree large (or small) enough to use where you want to hunt.

Another option is the "hang-on". Put it up now .... wait until conditions are right. Slip in and hunt. But .... a "hang-on" can be tricky to set up and most are rather small. If 15'-20' heights and hanging "out" bother you, then the hang-on will probably not work.
Old 11-23-2014, 11:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

I use an API climber and love it. It has a (motorcycle style) chain that really grabs the tree.
It's fairly light at 21 lbs. Quite comfortable and well made. Not overly noisy due to a nice overspray and alittle caution. Depending on the model chosen, you are well surrounded by the stand and that can help ease your mind where heights are concerned. This brand is packaged well and comes w/a good safety harness. I've had mine since '03 and wouldn't hesitate to get this brand again when the time comes.

Last edited by Game Stalker; 11-24-2014 at 07:54 AM.
Old 11-25-2014, 02:30 AM
Spike

Thanks for the help. I'll look into them. Perhaps I can find someone nearby that has one I can try.
Old 11-25-2014, 04:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Some people...

can't climb and shouldn't climb. Every hunter isn't a certified climber.

It took me some years from a very young age. Learned on railroad box cars, climbing without any safety device.

Got my first job after school, a good paying job, but they failed to mention one requirement. I was over 1500 miles from home, when it was suggested I climb a storage tank. (without a safety belt)
Son, there are some people who should stay away from climbing.
I know what took me to climb.

They have non-climbing ground blinds. They keep you out of the cold weather.

Last edited by Valentine; 11-25-2014 at 04:47 AM.