Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

cold feet

Old 11-05-2014, 02:35 AM
Spike

Default cold feet

Trying to keep my feet warm in the Midwest winter hunt. I sit 18ft up the tree facing the sw just inside the wood line overlooking a narrow creek. Typically if there is a wind it will come in from the nnw. I wear a thin black dress sock against the skin with a heavy wool sock next inside of a 1000g thinsulate Irish setter hunting boot. Temps usually hover around 15 to 25 during the cold weather hunt. My feet still get cold after about 3 hours in the tree. Any suggestions to keep them warm? All the rest of my body is plenty warm.
Old 11-05-2014, 04:17 AM
Fork Horn

Have you tried or use toe/foot warmers? My issue is my hands. I can not find a pair of gloves to keep my hands warm even with hand warmers..I was thinking of trying ua cold gear gloves but they seem so damn thin.
Old 11-05-2014, 05:36 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by theshark
Have you tried or use toe/foot warmers? .
That's what I use, no cold feet even after 3 hours in freezing weather.
Old 11-06-2014, 01:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Welcome to the forum. 1000 gr. Thinsulate isn't enough when you are sitting in temps like that for any length of time. You need some good Sorel-type boots with thick felt liners. Buy them one size bigger and put an additional felt insole in the liner bootie. They suck for walking, but they will absolutely keep your feet warm. The toe warmers are a great alternative though.
Old 11-06-2014, 06:48 AM
Boone & Crockett

As was stated, make sure your boots are not too tight, that alone will impede circulation in your fet making them cold. Wear a polypro typw sock under your heavier socks to allow the moisture to wick away from your feet. Thay make foot warmers that stick to the bttom of your socks but I have no idea if they work, they also make electric socks that are supposed to be better than the old style, again, I didn;t ever use them, I know the old ones were pretty much worthless.
Old 11-11-2014, 03:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ditto ... Make sure boots are not too tight. Use a good quality wicking type sock. I like a wool/poly blend. I also use "Toasty Toes" type hot packs on the colder days. There is one other thing that you might try. There are "over boot" wraps that you can buy. These are bulky but might do the trick.
Old 11-12-2014, 02:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Being in a tree stand...

on a cold winter day, or frigid day, is like perching oneself on a bridge, with wind blowing above and below, and sitting on something that freezes first.
And you're volunteering to do it.
Old 11-15-2014, 01:14 PM
Fork Horn

hoytmaxxis35, I got new 1000 gram Irish Setter Grizzly boots with the rubber toe and I freeze in them. I'm wearing double wool socks (no less than 70% wool) and I can feel the wind right through them. Very Disappointing. Been considering the 1400 gram arctic bear claws since I can run by the outlet in Ohio.
Old 11-15-2014, 03:01 PM
Fork Horn

only part of OP's reason his feet are getting cold is due to environmental effect. the other part is because of lack of circulation. it helps to move your toes around in your boots as given your probably not able to stand up periodically while remaining quiet and hidden.
otherwise the others are right, hot packs are the best solution when fancy socks aren't doing it.
Old 11-16-2014, 04:21 AM
Spike

Try some Arctic Shields. Not too bulky for treestand hunting and they help keep the feet warm. Add some foot warmers and you'll be golden.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.