Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

First Deer Hunting Rifle

Old 10-28-2014, 04:27 PM
Spike

Default First Deer Hunting Rifle

Hey everyone,

I'm a newbie looking for some help here. I am really looking forward to purchasing my first rifle, primarily for deer hunting here in PA, but am quite lost on what I should buy. I've done a lot of Google searching and have come across suggestions for a Marlin X7, Stevens 200, Savage Arms 111, Savage Axis, Remington 770 (which I read is poop), Remington 700...etc etc.

I don't know where to start. I am also wondering if a 270 Win would be better than a .30-06 (ammo availability, type of hunting, etc).

So, excuse my newbieness, but can I get some help here? Ultimately, I want to buy a rifle that will last and that I can even pass down to my little son some day. I don't want a budget rifle for the sake of having a rifle, but if there are ones out there for less than $500 that would be worth it, I'm all ears!

If there are other things you guys would need to know in order to better direct me, I would really appreciate it. I'm a novice with terms, as well, so if you use a bunch of acronyms, you'll confuse me more.

Cheers!
Old 10-28-2014, 05:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

for a new hunter would be hard to beat a 7mm/08, will kill any deer or bear or elk that ever walked, gentle recoil, ammo is readily available. I have one, along with the 270's, 6mm's, 25's, you will not go wrong with the lil 7
RR
Old 10-28-2014, 07:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

Save most of your budget for good optics, rings, bases, ammo and targets !

I like a .243 for a first deer (predator) rifle, but the .270 is my choice for hunting deer; north, south, east or west.
Old 10-29-2014, 05:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

You are going to get many opinions as to which brand and caliber (Ford vs. Chevy, etc.) with this question, so take the responses with a grain of salt.

For around $500 (maybe less) you can often find a new Remington 700 ADL or a Remington 700 SPS. If you want a good quality rifle that is about the best you can buy for that budget. There are a lot of other less expensive choices but in the long run you will be happier buying quality. The ADL and SPS models are the same as any other 700 except for a cheaper stock. With a Model 700 you can upgrade it later (stock etc.) if you wish.

There is a large market in very good used rifles. You can get a lot more bang for your buck by buying quality used rifles (but not used scopes). For less than $500 you can find a Remington 700, Ruger 77, etc.

Buy the rifle and scope separately if you can. Package deals sometimes do not work out in the long run. A good scope with rings and bases will cost you a bit, but that is another issue.

For me it would be a .30-06 as a first choice and a .270 as the second choice. You can find ammo easily for these two cartridges and they are flexible enough to allow you to hunt larger game than whitetail deer if you ever decide to do so.
Old 10-29-2014, 06:30 AM
Typical Buck

I would start with a 243, 7mm-08 or maybe the 308 if you plan to stick with hunting and ever need the rifle to do more for you. But a 243 is fine for deer. No issues with it at all. A 7mm-08 or 308 will have more recoil however and for a first rig it can be a little unpleasant.

Now personally i have 308 that is far less recoil than my 7mm-08 so keep in mind the rifle design and weight matters. I also have a few 30.06 rifles but since i hunt mostly deer its really not needed and to have more recoil and blast its just not worth it to me.

Burris Fulfield II scope and you are good to go. I would look at Marlin or savage rifles. Both are good for the price. Also the Ruger American. These are budget rifles that do well and will last a long long time.
Old 10-29-2014, 06:40 AM
Giant Nontypical

You'll hear different advice from different people. I would advise buying a rifle chambered in .30-06. This cartridge is suitable for all big game in the lower 48 states. You can find it chambered in almost every rifle you would want to buy. You can buy ammunition for it anywhere. I have hunted elk 5 times in SW Colorado and taken 3 elk with my .30-06. I see the .30-06 used a lot in the elk hunting mountains.

I would suggest you buy as cheap a rifle as you can find. You can consider buying used -- either from a private owner or from a pawn shop (be advised, however, that pawn shops sometimes put an excessively high price on used guns). As an example, about 10 years ago I bought a Remington model 300 ADL in synthetic stock for $280 at a grand opening of a Bass Pro Shop. While that rifle is not pretty, it shoots very accurately.

If you have money to put a good scope on it right away do that. But if you can only afford a cheap scope now . . . save your money, accumulate cash until you can afford a truly good scope. Your rifle may have open sights to begin with. People have killed a lot of game over the years with open sights. You can too. You can decide what constitutes a "truly good scope." I put a $500 Leupold VX-III 3.5-10x 40 mm objective duplex reticle scope on my $280 ADL.

Over time you may buy other rifles, nicer, more expensive, more beautiful walnut stocked rifles. This initial cheap rifle can serve as a back-up. That's why I got my ADL, as a backup that I wouldn't feel uneasy about taking out in foul weather or to fill the place of my go-to rifle if I drop it out of the truck on the concrete at the hotel at an out-of-state hunt. Note that though the back-up rifle can be cheap and homely in appearance (which do not generally reduce the accuracy of a rifle), if you are going to hunt with it -- possibly during an expensive out-of-state hunt -- you will want to be able to depend on the sighting system. You don't want a cheap rifle scope fogging up on you and causing you to not get a shot at the only bull elk you see on your expensive out-of-state hunt.

Last edited by Alsatian; 10-29-2014 at 06:44 AM.
Old 10-29-2014, 07:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you pick a common cartridge and have difficulty with recoil, both Hornady and Remington offer reduced power loads. Even the reduced power loads would be enough for whitetail deer in a .30-06 or .270.

I believe that there are more different ammo options offered for a .30-06 than any other cartridge.
Old 10-29-2014, 08:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would check out all of the dealers in my area and find a used Ruger model 77 in either 30 06 or 270 Winchester. Either will do all that you ask.
Old 10-29-2014, 12:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Sheridan
Save most of your budget for good optics, rings, bases, ammo and targets !
I like a .243 for a first deer (predator) rifle, but the .270 is my choice for hunting deer; north, south, east or west.
X2!
I like yours and RR's comments! A .243 on up, equals great deer medicine! With today's gun quality, good glass should be the ultimate focus over gun brand & caliber!
Old 10-30-2014, 06:32 AM
Spike

Default Hi Hunters!

I wanted hunters to see this! Some great shirts for hunters in my site, buy this week and receive a great discount code for next time!
http://themanlymancanonline.com/

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.