Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Coleman Cooler

Old 01-26-2014, 06:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Coleman Cooler

I deer hunt appx. 300 miles from home. Usually the weather is cool in Missouri during early deer season so meat spoilage is not a problem. Not so the last few years. I have passed up deer because I was afraid that the meat would not stand driving 300 miles in 60 degree weather. So I bought a 120 qt. Coleman cooler, I will butcher the deer on site, cut it up into quarters, backstraps, tenderloins and neck. I will trim the ribs and backbone as much as possible and discard them. Of course, the lower legs will be removed too. I have a place to hang the deer to do this, and it is on private property. I have not tried this before and I am sure that some of you have. Is that cooler big enough to handle this with a couple bags of ice too? Thanks.
Old 01-26-2014, 07:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would think that would be large enough to put a decent size Deer in especially since Your cutting it up.Just make sure that You keep the meat separate from the ice so it doesn't melt down and get on the Venison!I have 2 Hunting Buddies that cut their Deer up and store it in Coolers and 1 drives about 100 miles home while the other goes all the way back to Louisianna from here in Missouri which is as far or further than You have to drive!
Old 01-26-2014, 07:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks, GTO. The cooler certainly looks big enough, I usually soak the meat in salted ice water for about three days, changing the water each day anyway. Do I really need to bag the meat in the cooler? Thanks.
Old 01-27-2014, 07:06 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Jenks
Do I really need to bag the meat in the cooler? Thanks.
No you don't need to bag the meat, it will be fine! Where I hunt, you better ice 'em down even if you are only going to haul it 20 miles! I've never bagged the meat in my life and it has never spoiled or tasted "gamey!"
Old 01-27-2014, 12:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks, JagMagMan. I think folks treat their deer meat so it tastes good to them. Some want full flavor, some want it kind of bland. I like to get as much blood out of it as I can. Thanks again.
Old 01-28-2014, 06:28 AM
Typical Buck

I posted a question on a western hunting site a while ago about coolers and elk, consensus was that a 150 quart cooler would handle a boned-out adult male elk, plus some ice. I think you should have plenty of room.
Old 01-28-2014, 01:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

120 gal. is plenty for even 2 boned out "average" deer. If possible cool the deer meat before icing. Ice the meet ASAP and keep the melt water off as best you can by draining frequently. That'll also drain out some of the meat blood. No need to bag. I have never bagged ... 40+ years. No taste issues at all. You'll be good to go as long as it stays well iced.
Old 01-29-2014, 02:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for the info, Mojo and Murdy. I too think it is plenty big. I am not going to bone the meat out until I get it home. I am just going to quarter it and trim as much off the ribs and backbone as I can before discarding them. But there should be plenty of room. We are talking about a six hour drive after I get the meat in the cooler. I will check it when I get home, if it needs more ice to hold until the next day I will add some. I will work it up out of the cooler, give it a cold salt water soak for a few days and freeze it. In warm weather without a cooler, I am sure that the meat would not have made it this long. Thanks again.