Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Hunting Gear Discussion
Newbie Camo Screw Up... Need Help Recovering please >

Newbie Camo Screw Up... Need Help Recovering please

Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Newbie Camo Screw Up... Need Help Recovering please

Old 11-27-2013, 03:45 PM
Spike

Default Newbie Camo Screw Up... Need Help Recovering please

Hello

It's my first year hunting and I bought a cheapie camo bib from Cabela's and IGI Gear jacket while they were running a sale. It's now late season and I've learned the errors of my ways. First the Cabela's bib is just horrible and it isn't waterproof or windproof at all. I thought the IGI Gear jacket water/wind proof but my friend who has the same jacket let me in on the fact that they don't stay dry for long in the rain (say after an hour). So naturally 3 months after I bought my first set of camo I'm in the market for more.

I was debating a couple of things one of the following:
1) Frogg Togg Suit (already purchased for $50)
2) ScentBlocker RainBlocker Jacket/Pants (already purchased for $100 for both)
3) Cabela's Silent Suede 4 in 1 Jacket (to be purchased for $130)
4) Cabela's MT050 7 in 1 Parka (to be purchased for $260)

I purchased the first two items already because I got them on sale and I can return them any time. I was thinking of just keeping one of them and then buying nicer stuff at the end of the season when the sales go on. However the jacket and bib I have now aren't very heavy for the late season but I think I can just layer instead of getting something that's too heavy. With layering I've learned that whatever it is needs to be a zip up so it can go over what I'm wearing while my harness is attached to a tree. The two jackets seem like a nice alternative since you can add layers as needed but they leave me without waterproof/windproof pants.

I was wondering why people had so much camo when I started by I'm quickly learning that it's hard to find something that is designed well without spending a fortune on Sitka/Kuiu or some other expensive brand. Because I'm new to hunting I have a ton of things to buy and I don't want to go crazy on camo and run my funds out for buying a new shotgun.

Any advice would be helpful.

Thanks
Sam
Old 11-27-2013, 07:17 PM
Spike

I'm not really any help, but I heard that Sitka is overpriced and their stuff isn't good. I have no first hand experience with this, but thats what the talk around the taxidermy shop is. Plus they refuse to make clothing for women hunters, so a couple guys I know boycott it.
Old 11-28-2013, 02:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default lordy....

newbies in charge of requisitions !!!!!!! They know what they know.
Old 11-28-2013, 06:23 AM
Typical Buck

It's a camo manufacturers dream thread.

Camo may be the most demanded, and bought, of all the hunting related items that nobody really needs but almost everybody buys.
Old 11-28-2013, 06:55 AM
Spike

I think starting out is the most expensive step towards anything you want to do. It takes money, money and more money to become properly equipped for whatever you want to do. I would love to deer hunt but I lack the funds it would take to actually prepare me for the hunt (proper gun, clothing, etc). But its something I have in mind for the future.

Starting out also includes spending money on the wrong thing because you don't have much experience or direction. Hopefully some of the more experienced hunters can weigh in with some useful information.
Old 11-28-2013, 08:22 AM
Super Moderator

If you're buying from Cabelas, research their comments section for each individual item. Newer items might have only a few comments or no comments but the more established items will have dozens or more comments. You will need to actually read the comments as some are written by honest people and some are merely shills for the product or ignorant people who just want to see something they wrote printed, like "I just bought this camo and it looks great. I haven't used it yet but it looks great, etc." Find the posts written by people who hunt like you do and tell you how well (or not) the product works after sitting in the rain for a few hours.

Another thing you might consider is to do some research using whatever search engine you prefer. ANY waterproof item that "breathes" is only going to hold up to heavy rain for so long before it's overwhelmed. Rainproof items do need to have their water-proofness refreshed from time to time. And last, but not least, how many animals do you expect to see while sitting in the rain for an hour or more? Maybe you need to consider different times/weather, etc.

I am not holding myself out as an expert but these are some of the things I've noticed or observed over the years. Hopefully some of my favorite members will post something to help as well. Good luck and enjoy the process.

Last edited by CalHunter; 11-28-2013 at 07:06 PM.
Old 11-28-2013, 05:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

4) Cabela's MT050 7 in 1 Parka (to be purchased for $260)

+1,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, and it's packable !

Own them - love them !!!

Last edited by Sheridan; 12-12-2013 at 09:44 AM.
Old 11-29-2013, 05:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

I am more or less ditto-ing CalHunter.

I hunt in the southern part of the US. Mostly in southeastern Alabama , but often in south central Arkansas. Winter time down this way is wet time. If I am going to take advantage of tiime off to hunt during deer season, for sure I have to be prepared for hunting in the rain. Over the past 50 years I have tried a few different rain proof set ups. Most work fine in drizzle to light rain ... or sleet and snow. Few work well in driving rainfall .... but then again, I don't normally hunt in heavy rains. I have but those days are pretty much over for me ... its referred to as "learning" ! For sure I have gotten "caught" in heavy rain. And most of the time that means I am soaked to the bone by the time I get back to camp.

About the only outers that have worked well for me in moderate to heavy rains have been Gortex and the old reliable "rubber" slicker suit. The later of which I have never found hunter friendly and very, very seldom used. And some of the Gortex garments can be rather noisey. And every piece of rain gear that I have ever had eventually leaked somewhere ... seams usually. For sure I have never had any success with el-cheapo rain gear.

If it is going to be a rain/sleet/snow filled day, I wear an outfit that uses Goretex as a rain proof. If the forcast is for possibility of showers or thunderstorms, I carry a packable Goretex over suit. About the best I figure I can do.

As far as cammo patterns .... like may hunters, I buy the stuff but frankly I am of the experience that anything "woodsy" colored (flat ... dark greens, browns, grays, black, etc.) quiet garment works plenty good.
Old 12-12-2013, 07:10 AM
Fork Horn

ScentBlocker RainBlocker Jacket/Pants.. I have the Jacket and Bibs.. very DRY and warm.. Hunted in steady rain the entire day. I was dry.. I will say they are not Brier proof. I did get a small rip which was repaired by iron patching. Got them at dicks for $ 69.99 each on sale. Very dry.
Old 12-13-2013, 09:10 AM
Typical Buck

I personally don't spend the extra money on insulated outer wear. I can layer up underneath it. Just IMO. HD.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.