Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Cold Weather Gear

Old 04-08-2015, 08:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Just my personal preference, when it gets really cold I put on my coveralls. I have two pair one is thick soft cotton and the other is insulated with Gortex, depends on how cold or wet it is. The reason being your body doesn't radiate heat the same overall, the coveralls help spread the heat to the cold spots from the hot spots. You can open the front of the coveralls and your jacket to vent heat when your walking, your legs, especially your calves generate a lot of heat. I also buy them a size or more too big, any kind of restriction is going to impede blood flow and/or air circulation someplace. I've noticed when I'm walking and have the front of my coveralls and jacket partially open, I get nice warm puffs of air on my face; kind of a chimney effect, heat goes up.

Another trick I learned is if you keep your kidneys, your neck and your head warm most of the other places will take care of themselves. When it gets really cold I put on a kidney belt. Lace your boots loosely.

My feet or my hands rarely get super cold, I guess I'm lucky.

I've had hypothermia twice, once on a Motorcycle trip through Finland and another time up around six thousand feet in the Czech Republic. In Finland I ignored the warning signs and ended up in the Hospital. In the Czech Republic I got caught in a freak storm in the middle of July, the temperature dropped around 50 degrees in a couple of hours, sideways sleet and snow. I'd gotten wet hiking in at zero dark thirty and had no way to dry out.

Last edited by MudderChuck; 04-08-2015 at 08:12 PM.
Old 04-10-2015, 12:41 PM
Fork Horn

Good ol' long johns work for me!