Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Best Caliber

Old 09-25-2013, 02:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

After studying some ballistics gel illustrations among many popular calibers on Chuck Hawks site, the .308 makes a messy wound cavity and the 30-30 penetrates better than I imagined. The .308 diameter bullet is the jack-of-all bullet loadings in my opinion, regardless of which caliber its chambered for.
Old 09-25-2013, 04:40 PM
Typical Buck

Cough....cough....bullsh*t......cough
Old 09-25-2013, 07:07 PM
Spike

Anytime someone asks what is the "best caliber" or "best rifle", you'll always get a lot of different opinions. My suggestion is to identify the calibers sufficient for the game you want to hunt and identify what feels best to you and what you shoot well. Also, consider the availability of ammo. Unless you hand load, you may want to limit your choices to more common and popular calibers.

Some people are more sensitive to recoil than others and a magnum, like a 7MM Mag or 300 Win Mag, may not be very fun to shoot. it's subjective and only you will know what you can tolerate. I will say that people who shoot a rifle they're scared of generally don't shoot it very well.

Also, consider the range of bullet weights available for a particular caliber. A wider range of bullet weights allows you more flexibility in adjusting your ammo for the game you're hunting. A 30-06 has a fairly wide range of bullet weights. You can go lighter for deer (110 grain) and increase significantly for elk (220 grain). Not all calibers have that wide a range in weights, which is one factor to consider if you want to use the rifle for a wide variety of game.

Here are some of the most common and popular calibers suitable for deer and elk:
270 (smallest size I would use for elk)
7mm mag
30-06
300 win mag or wsm

You couldn't go wrong with any of those and because of their popularity ammo is generally affordable and easy to find. You can look up the ballistics for each caliber and make your own decision regarding what you think is appropriate for the animals you're hunting, your skill, and hunting style.

There are other great calibers, but they aren't as common and ammo could be harder to find and more expensive. If you hand load you may consider other options, like the 280 AI (may not be available in the rifle you want to buy).

Best of luck in your search for a new rifle and happy hunting!

Last edited by jfarleyx; 09-25-2013 at 08:18 PM.
Old 09-27-2013, 08:09 AM
Fork Horn

Default Features of a fine hunting rifle

It takes time to explain how some features enhance the ability and safety of a fine hunting rifle.

Of course a cheap rifle will kill "lots of deer" or whatever some old guy used.

I was given a M722 in 1953 and it got my first deer. What a junky cheap gun. The safety did not control the firing pin nor could I unload it's hot chamber on safe.

Old 09-27-2013, 09:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Savage_99
To TheFiganator,

To be frank you need to find out more about guns and hunting.

Six hundred yards is very far to shoot at anything and then to want the rifle not to make a big hole in a deer labels you as a neophyte.

Your choice of a 700 means that you don't know much about hunting rifles yet.

How old are you?
There was a poster on Accurate Reloading (AR) that had the same username as you have here. For some reason he did not seem to have much respect from most of the other users. You are not the same Savage 99, are you?
Old 09-27-2013, 11:08 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Savage_99
To TheFiganator,

To be frank you need to find out more about guns and hunting.

Six hundred yards is very far to shoot at anything and then to want the rifle not to make a big hole in a deer labels you as a neophyte.

Your choice of a 700 means that you don't know much about hunting rifles yet.

How old are you?
I knew a gal once that was a neophyte. She like to wore me out.
Old 09-27-2013, 01:07 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Big Uncle
There was a poster on Accurate Reloading (AR) that had the same username as you have here. For some reason he did not seem to have much respect from most of the other users. You are not the same Savage 99, are you?
“When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser."
Socrates
Old 09-27-2013, 03:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Bullcamp82834
I knew a gal once that was a neophyte. She like to wore me out.
ROFL!
Old 09-28-2013, 09:01 AM
Fork Horn

My quote above explains why those who cannot debate a topic turn to joking around or worse.

I was specific on what I find superior design for a hunting rifle. Explain your favorite features or learn about mine.

Last edited by Savage_99; 09-28-2013 at 10:53 AM.
Old 09-28-2013, 11:49 AM
Typical Buck

Wow Savage, lighten up and don't take yourself so seriously.
What I like in a deer rifle.......or a bottle of whiskey.......or a woman.......is different from the next guy. So it should be.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.