Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Best Caliber

Old 10-01-2013, 11:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by homers brother
For the record, I'm not disagreeing with what YOU do, or questioning YOUR experiences. I'm sure you'd agree that one doesn't put on some Google-fu, buy a rifle and scope, and become an accomplished long-range hunter overnight? Oh, but if it were that easy.....?

If I've learned anything from shooting precision rifle, it's been to listen to the guys who've been doing it longer than me. You're never old enough or good enough that you can't learn something you didn't know and become even better.

But those of us who do know even a little about long-range marksmanship also need to be careful that we don't over-encourage the new guys to write checks with their gear that their skills can't yet cash. I've had links forwarded to me of guys like Carlock and Hodnett by less-experienced guys who think what they do is cool - but who don't exactly see it as the product of patience, discipline, and dedication to the craft that we know it to be. I don't want to put words in his mouth, but I'm guessing that might be close to what BullCamp's been saying all along, too?

Our OP needs to get himself a rifle before he's able to do much of anything. It probably doesn't do any of us much good to fan the flames of expectation much until he gets that box checked?
If they have any sense of ethics, they can take the info given them, buy the equipment they need, learn how to make it work, and they'll know when they are ready, if they don't have ethics, anything we tell them won't change anything. The way I look at its better they at least know what they need then go out and attempt it blind. I've taught many locals here the craft, some stick with it, some don't. right now I'm mentoring a friend and his 10 year old son, the friend does ok, the kid is incredible, I've watched him set his own dope at distances from 800-1100 yards and make consistant first round hits with his fast twist 243.
RR
Old 10-01-2013, 01:15 PM
Typical Buck

Next thing we know that 10 year old kid will be killing antelope at 800 yards with that 243.
Old 10-01-2013, 01:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

I once saw a cow elk shot at least 800 yards (according to the rangefinder I had with me). The shooter was about 13 years old, and the cow just stood there on the hillside while the shooter kept blasting away with a .308. The cow was hit in the front leg on the 14th shot, and gut shot on the 16th. The cow laid down, head up, until it was put out of it's misery at close range later.

The elk were about 150 yards from me and I was between the shooter and the elk, but apparently neither the shooter or the proud father could see my blaze orange cap and vest even though I was standing completely in the open. The shots came from so far away that the elk were not even spooked until the cow was finally hit. I sat down and waited to meet the jerk who had shot over my head, but when it turned out to be a proud father and child I just offered congratulations and walked off.

From my point of view the event was wildly unethical, but the shooter and proud father probably did not and had a story to tell of great marksmanship by the child (if you leave out a few details). To each their own.

So I guess the answer to the original question is a .308 and a big pile of ammo.

The OP seems to be gone since starting this mess.
Old 10-01-2013, 01:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Bullcamp82834
Next thing we know that 10 year old kid will be killing antelope at 800 yards with that 243.
I'm confidant he would have a better chance than most.
The few times since I started this back in 1996 that I have had unexplained misses, after I have done my calculations set up and take my shot, If its a miss its a done deal if I don't know what caused the miss. I will go home have a range session, rerun the numbers, check zero's, check velocities till I find out whats going on. I've been called unethical by many but I put a lot more effort into making humane kills than most.
Bull this is one of my better targets, I called it a fluke but at my target stand I normaly shoot 2-4" groups but here is 3 shots at a lazered 752 yards fired from my 6.5 gibbs

RR
Old 10-01-2013, 02:57 PM
Typical Buck

RR, just so nobody here gets the wrong idea........ You and I are just pulling each other's leg with this nonsense. There's no pissing contest, I'm not flaming you, and you are as full of BS as Ty Murray's boots. If I met you in a bar I'd buy you a beer and shake your hand. I love to listen to someone as talented at BS as me.
Old 10-01-2013, 03:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Bullcamp82834
RR, just so nobody here gets the wrong idea........ You and I are just pulling each other's leg with this nonsense. There's no pissing contest, I'm not flaming you, and you are as full of BS as Ty Murray's boots. If I met you in a bar I'd buy you a beer and shake your hand. I love to listen to someone as talented at BS as me.
consider it BS if you wish.
RR
Old 10-03-2013, 07:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Don't believe in best caliber

There have been many different successful calibers used by hunters I knew as successful.
Hunted mostly in the east, so never had a caliber that was specifically used for more than 300 yards.
I have one caliber that was very successful in swamps with shots under 125 yards. Was successful in never tracking a deer in a swamp. 600 yard shots didn't pay the freight.