Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

treestand height

Old 12-01-2013, 04:56 PM
Spike

I think it depends on the person. But I think its important to get comfortable at 20ft. Reason being because its the height of many ladder tree stands. If you get used to being at 20ft then no matter what you use climber, etc. you'll become more comfortable. Overall, I think 16ft - 20ft is ideal for the average person. Alot of ladders come in at 16ft too.

Happy Hunting!
Old 12-01-2013, 05:47 PM
Fork Horn

Depends on your surroundings. The higher the underbrush, the higher the stand. Is your tree on a level surface? Are you in a valley? Are you on top of a rise?

My rule of thumb is no higher off the ground than necessary to be out of a natural line of sight for an animal walking in the area I am anticipating him coming from.
Old 12-19-2013, 01:36 PM
Spike

I agree with the last post. Terrain is most important you dont want to be eye to eye with the deer unless you can sit completely still and be ready to shoot when the animal is in. I hate high stands but that is because I'm a big guy and that big blob swinging at the top of a tree isnt natural. I have been seen many more times high vs low. High also makes your target smaller when your looking down at the middle of their back
Old 12-20-2013, 02:36 AM
Spike

hardly any trees in the areas I hunt you can go more than 20ft up with a climber, I mostly bow hunt so each hunting area is different, shooting lanes/cover etc, generally i like to be 18ft give or take a few. geo