Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Good boots to hunt out west

Old 07-23-2013, 07:11 PM
Spike

Default Good boots to hunt out west

Any suggestions on a good pair of boots. Requirements are they have to be wide, waterproof, insulated (at least 400 gram), be able to handle lots of miles. I have tried many boots and I put them to the test. I have a really hard time trying to find boots that fit correctly and are durable. I put a lot of miles on my feet throughout the year. I do a lot of scouting always carrying a pack with a load. I've looked at handmade boots but they are 800-1000 dollars for a pair. I been interested in the kenetreks.
Old 07-29-2013, 09:59 AM
Fork Horn

im looking at danners...UA speed freak and brow tines
Old 07-29-2013, 11:19 AM
Giant Nontypical

" I been interested in the kenetreks "

....and why not, if you have that kind of dough !

Take a look here also;

http://www.lintonoutdoors.com/footwear/
Old 07-30-2013, 11:45 AM
Spike

I been interested in the UA brow tines
Old 07-30-2013, 05:17 PM
Typical Buck

Camofire.com has had Kenetrek Terrane boots on a lot lately at 30% off. Still $200+, but Kenetrek has a great reputation. I found some Lowa's and Zamberlan's on sale last February, but now might not be the best time for that sort of thing if you need them asap.
Old 08-07-2013, 11:25 PM
Typical Buck

Danners can't be beat at any price.

Just get them about half worn out before you hit the mountain.
Old 08-09-2013, 04:10 PM
Spike

Problem is I have very wide feet and danners don't fit my feet. I have tried on a pair of kenetreks and they were very nice but pricey! Was hoping maybe you guys knew of some around the 200 dollar range. Has any one here tried the new under armor brow tines yet.
Old 08-09-2013, 08:22 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Bullcamp82834
Danners can't be beat at any price.

Just get them about half worn out before you hit the mountain.
Nothing against Danners, but I think they started to ship half their production overseas, for whatever that's worth.
Old 08-10-2013, 05:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Danner's have always worked well for me. I know they offer a double "E" is this too narrow?

ATB
Old 08-10-2013, 08:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

I like Meindl Perfekt Hunter boots. I don't know how much thinsulate they have -- they do have other models besides the Perfekt Hunter that may have more thinsulate. I also don't know what their sizes are. They are comfortable, waterproof, and provide good ankle support. They are good on rocky trails and while carrying a heavy load. An interesting thing about the Perfekt Hunters is that they required NO break-in.

Let me explain. I bought the boots in 2006 in preparation for my first elk hunt in October 2006. I took them out to my hunting area for an overnight backpacking trip with my son in June to do some scouting/familiarization with the terrain. I didn't have an opportunity to break them in ahead of time and just decided, what the heck, I'm only going for an overnight and only going for maybe 10 or 15 miles. If I get blisters -- as I expected I would -- I would just tough it out for the overnight.

But I DIDN'T get any blisters or other troubles. Walked probably 10 miles, half of that uphill, some steeply uphill.

I don't know why they didn't need a break-in. Also, I personally don't require that in my boots -- I figure I'll just take the trouble to break them in properly before a long trip.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.