Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Hunting Gear Discussion
 Any suggestions for a hunting bug repellant? >

Any suggestions for a hunting bug repellant?

Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Any suggestions for a hunting bug repellant?

Old 09-25-2003, 11:14 AM

Default Any suggestions for a hunting bug repellant?

With the growing epidemics of W.Nile Virus and Lymes Disease I' m looking for a good repellant that won' t alert deer to my location and at the same time provide a decent level of protection. Any suggestion will be greatly appreciated.
Old 09-26-2003, 08:02 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Any suggestions for a hunting bug repellant?

" No stinkin' bugs" bug repellant is probably worth a good look. I used it earlier this year during dove season and did not have a single problem with mosquitos. They do advertise that it is scent free and should not spook game. They also make " No stinkin' tics" tic repellant as well.
Old 09-26-2003, 07:04 PM

I used no stinkin bugs last year (got it at wal-mart)... didn' t really use it cause I sprayed it on my camo and it had a strong smell to it even though it was supposed to be scent free. Still can' t get that smell off of my camo that I put it on, thankfully I smelled it before I sprayed it on all of my camo. Maybe it was just my can of no stinkin bugs cause I see a lot of people that seem to like it, I have no clue .
Old 09-27-2003, 06:44 AM
Giant Nontypical

I don' t like the smell either.I use Sawyers Permethrin its made for ticks but does a good job on skeeteers too. For clothing use only. Not for skin.
Old 09-27-2003, 12:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Buy a Thermacell for the mo-skeeters. For ticks not sure what works.Yes ago I bought some repellant at Walmart. Don' t remember the name but it had a blue top on it. It was 100%deet. They have one can with a green top but the blue top contained more deet.Next time in Walmart look in the sporting goods section.I found that OFF seems to attract them more then repel them??????
Ruger Redhawk
Old 09-27-2003, 02:43 PM
Giant Nontypical

Ruger where did you buy the thermacell? I looked in all the stores and no one seems to carry it. Did you get it on line?
Old 09-27-2003, 09:19 PM

No stickin bugs works great on keeping them off you but also say no deer. It still has a strong smell even with the fall blend.
Old 09-28-2003, 05:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

[quote]ORIGINAL: jerseyhunter

Ruger where did you buy the thermacell?

Jerseyhunter, they are available at several places down here.I guess we have a bigger skeeter problem down south. Target Stores carry them but I won' t deal with them because of their anti gun position. Here is the ThermaCell site www.mosquitorepellent.com I just ordered a Summer Pack refill kit from them.I got my TC on Ebay. Mine is white but it was 15.47 plus shipping.Which was a steal. You might check www.sportsmensguide.com. It was one of their sister company' s who had them on Ebay. That was www.bargainoutfitters.com. BassPro Shops carries them.
Hope I helped you. I tried these links before posting them. All three work fine.
Ruger Redhawk
Old 09-28-2003, 02:30 PM

I could only find the thermacell on the first website and I still don' t understand what it is exactly. Can you explain b/c I feel like and idiot for not knowing?
Old 09-28-2003, 05:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ncsu, Welcome to the forum, The Thermacell uses a butane cylinder and a repellent pad.I haven' t used mine yet but friends swear by them. The have a self igniter(some models)you can use it then shut it off and reuse it without changing the cylinder .The pad you change when it turns completely white. My understanding the cylinder last about 12 hours before needing to change them.I haven' t even opened mine yet. I' ll be trying it in a couple weeks in GA black powder season.Like I said my friends swear by them.On another site all I' ve read is praise about them.
Ruger Redhawk

Quick Reply: Any suggestions for a hunting bug repellant?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.